Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 5.7 Mbyte video clip (with sound) of a stock SLK55 on a 17 second 0-100mph-0 run available for download at

http://home.earthlink.net/~slk55video1/

Be sure to connect your audio to a good sound system and turn up the volume. Enjoy!

Information indicates this clip was made at an elevation of approximately 3000 ft, air temperature of 60 degrees F and with ESP off (as indicated by the ESP dash light.) No further info about the source, location or driver is available.

NOTE: I expect the monthly download data limit for this Website account to be exceeded quickly, requiring it to be shut down for some time each month. If you can provide storage space with high or unlimited download traffic limits, please post this clip and contact me via e-mail with it's location (URL) so I can redirect enthusiasts to it. Thanks much.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Not much spin (none?) at take off. But you can't (shouldn't)with these cars. It will hurt the 0 to XX time. Thanks for psoting it.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Nice, nice. I get a little spin when turning ESP off (well, that was in winter when I tried, haven't tried it on warm tarmak yet). But when I do a sprint like that, I usually can feel the rear end of the car lurching around, left and right.

btw, how many hard runs like this do you think the SLK would be able to take before the tires begin to be too used and end up spinning too much for proper launches?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
p.s. I cannot recall off the top of my head (having only turned if off a few times), but I don't think the European version of the 55 displays that bright orange light when you turn ESP off...

hmmm, gotta go confirm that actually, I'm starting to have doubts if it might even be situated in a different place on the euro model [?]

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shinigami - 4/21/2005 8:20 AM

btw, how many hard runs like this do you think the SLK would be able to take before the tires begin to be too used and end up spinning too much for proper launches?
Hi, Shinigami. Hmm -- hard to say. Actually with careful use of the throttle right at launch to minimize wheel spin, I don't think there really is much tire wear. And I believe this approach leads to the quickest times.

You probably have experienced that with EDC on, when the wheels start to slip, the engine is throttled back and that completely thwarts a quick launch. With the EDC off, there can be a lot of tire spin if the throttle is just immediately, instantaneously mashed to the floor.

In my experience, the best approach with the automatic and street tires is to use the left foot to hold the brakes, bring the rpms up to about 1500. Then simultaneously release the brake and smoothly put the throttle to the floor over about a half second -- not an abrupt slam to the floor. This should avoid severe wheel spin which leads to the excessive tire wear. This was the approach used in the video -- which obviously yielded a very quick getaway with minimal wheel spin.

The stock Pirelli P-Zeros are a good all-around tire, but are a limiting factor for quick launches. I've ordered some wider wheels and Bridgestone S-03s that I should have next week. I'll report on the details when I confirm that the setup works OK. I expect the S-03s to provide more traction than the Pirellis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts