Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm nervous about the neighborhood it was done in, and why so much moving of the steering wheel.......curvy residential streets? Scary!

But that's just the adult in me talking. The rest of me says........

...........AWESOME!

Sounded great too. What was the actual 0-60 time? Did you clock it? Your car hauls ass.

I did the same thing in my 560SEL Euro the other day.....manually shifted to "B" and then back to "D", floored it, and left 25-30 feet of black on the concrete on-ramp with no axle tramp...a perfect smooth burnout start with no left foot braking!

And that was with 3-piece wheels, 10" wide in back with 265/40/17 Dunlop Sport 8000's. Man I'm gonna miss that car.

Jonathan, where's your video so we can hear 370HP laying rubber?

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well technically it's considered residential. but all the housing is blocked off to the right side so i deemed it safe. otherwise i'd never go more than 5mph over in residential! the road curved a little so i did have to turn the steering wheel, but my alignment is perfect now that i took care of those bent tie rods. i didn't clock it, but if i had a stopwatch i could figure it out from the video. it's obviously not gonna shoot away as quick as your euro 560! haha.. i can't imagine. especially if your lighting up 265s. i bet even feathering the throttle does nothing to control the wheelspin. it'd be awesome to see a video of your 560, though. ECE i assume? isn't that the white one?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
No, the blue one. The white one is nice and fast, dropped it off for Dr. buying it that lives in Indiana.....customer of Jonathan's. It's a great car, he bought my chrome AMG 3-piece wheels with new tires. Looked wicked that way.

But the blue one, I think, is even more powerful. Longer throttle, you really have to bury it to get the power (probably stretched linkage). But man, when you do, it flies.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which one did you just sell? didn't a guy come out, drive it, and cut you a check? was that the identical SEC? how much did you sell it for? $2500 on ebay is rediculous, probably not half the reserve, was it..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The white Euro SEL sold a long time ago, but it took me a while to get the title, so I just dropped it off.

The Blue Euro SEL, almost identical but with more miles, just sold when the guy came out to look/drive earlier this week.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
i didn't use the brake to raise the rpm because i'll just get more wheelspin anyway, but still.. not bad. what do you guys think?

YouTube - W126 euro 500SEL 0-60 time
Nice! I'm getting bad thoughts though. Might just charge the camcorder battery for a triple digit run :)

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doooo it!!! haha..

i'm considering a high speed run. i'd just feel much safer if i had somewhere to mount the camera with a front view aswell as a good view of the guages. i'll probably do it after i sort out my suspension.

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
You should definitely clock it - YouTube shows a little over 8 seconds from launch to the end of the video - I can't read the gauge, so no way to tell for sure. That sounds awfully slow for your car... I'm guessing you are running well under that figure.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? i clocked it at 6.8 seconds before.. maybe i'm just losing power due to higher ambient temperatures cause last time i tested was at night a month ago. anybody know the factory tested 0-60 for a euro 500 SEL?

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
Maybe the timing of the YouTube video is off due to lag time in turning off the camera? The acceleration starts at the two second mark, and the video is 11 seconds long in total.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, it is an SEL.. and it's not a 560. is my car lacking? didn't seem like 10 seconds to me.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER CHILL CHILL CHILL---ok you can read this now
had to do that----not getting in a pissing contest at all but tad over 6sec is not really obtainable with a US engine even with exhaust work done--7-8 maybe but the track times will prove it better--- When i took my US 500sec with headers, k&n air filter 9in rear tires and dual exhaust, with new timing chain, valve seals and rebuilt transmission. I was only able to get 7.65 and that was best of 3 runs @ 60 degrees at a level track

bone stock average when US engine was new
1984 Mercedes-Benz 500SEC 0-60 = 9.0 1/4 mile =17.0
1985 Mercedes-Benz 500SEL 8.9 17.0

Eurotuned Automotive Performance - Acceleration Times
0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles
0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles - Street Racing Videos - Drag Racing & Drifting

now if i was only able to get those slips to prove it---before there is any retaliatory action--- I don't even worry about the 0-60 times when the 75-135 times are so much better!

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also note my odd issue where i can't get to redline in 1st gear. i did pretty good on this run, but usually if i get a good hook up it shifts at 3500rpm.. still scratching my head on that one.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
also note my odd issue where i can't get to redline in 1st gear. i did pretty good on this run, but usually if i get a good hook up it shifts at 3500rpm.. still scratching my head on that one.
have you tried adjusting the tranny??? i found that turning the T key counter clockwise helps a little--i know it is more for tigtening the shifting between gears but it might work for you to play around with the shift points--could be why it is shifting too soon

also I had a euro 500sel for the longest time and lived in it--the o-60 times were closer to 7 than 9 with the barrel headers and full AMG/sebring exhaust

it is too bad they won't let me take my convertible to the track without a rollbar and top up-- or I could find out what a euro 500 motor with free flowing brabus exhaust and lower gear ratio would be able to obtain!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
for an older transmission , i used to flush them with a unit called T-Tech which purged the old stuff out while the car was running through the lines too and from the radiator, while it pushed new stuff in. It collected it in a clear cylindrical lighted tube so you could see all the crap coming out of the return line and floading around thick and burnt.....it worked well on most of the imports, however I found after doing this on the US cars they were sloppy as hell!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts