Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Impossible to beat for the price, I've run them on both of my SLK's and on the 16 valve. Yes, there are better tires out there, but the others cost more and they wear faster.
40 psi in 225 x 17's front and 36 psi in 255 x 17's in back for autocross.
35 psi all around to start for the track. Start out slow and work up to speed. Adjust pressure to suit your style. The tires need to heat up some to get the most out of them. [:D][;)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce. How many runs did you get out of them or asked another way about how long can they be expected to last?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
My first set were heat cycled, and I got much better then two full seasons on them ...

that included probably a minimum of six track days (About one hour total time on the track.) and sixteen autocross days. (A typical autocross here is seven or eight one minute runs that grind rubber big time.)
That's a fair amount of time, plus a 160 mile round trip to both the track and the autocross site each time.
The '32 is harder on the tires as you can imagine, but still I managed two seasons with about the same time on the track. Your results will vary some I'm sure.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: My first set were heat cycled, and I got much better then two full seasons on them ...

Thanks. I am probably about average around here for how hard I am on tires.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
This might seem like a dumb question, but:

You weren't going to use these as street tires were you?
Aside from really fast wear, they stink in rain.[}:)]
I have left them on to go to work the next day if I was too tired to change them at night when I got home, and the local traffic caught some hell those mornings, but always changed them on Monday afternoon when I got home. Too much temptation to drive like Nigel Mansell (sp?)....[;)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: This might seem like a dumb question, but:

I am debating taking the SLK to an autocross event or two. I was also half debating running them on the street for the very short period of time they last.

My crappy Conti 2's are getting close to the wear bars and I am probably going to end up ordering PS2's. I am thinking that if I want to get new wheels anytime soon now is the time to do it. If I go with new wheels I will probably order something something fun for the stock wheels.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
440, I hate to advertise for them, but I just put a set of Goodyear F1s on my SLK32. I put 225/45 17 on front and 255/40 17 on back with road hazard warranty for $808.00 tax included. I watched very closely as they were installed and they actually did a good job. Got them at Wal-Mart of all places. I had a hard time deciding between the F1s and PS2s, but I've been very happy with the Goodyear. They are much better and quieter than the contis I had.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flysmith - 3/3/2005 12:55 AM

440, I hate to advertise for them, but I just put a set of Goodyear F1s on my SLK32. I put 225/45 17 on front and 255/40 17 on back with road hazard warranty for $808.00 tax included. I watched very closely as they were installed and they actually did a good job. Got them at Wal-Mart of all places. I had a hard time deciding between the F1s and PS2s, but I've been very happy with the Goodyear. They are much better and quieter than the contis I had.
Don't feel bad for advertising. Everyone on the board apperciates both positive and negative comments about products. It aids us all in our buying decision.

First of all I have to say (again) that no matter what the price I will not shop at wal-mart.

I already know who I am going to use for the install. We have a couple of shops in town that do highspeed on the car balancing. It provides a much better balance and smoother ride than you can get out of the machines used at places like goodyear where they take the tire off the car and mount it to the machine.

I have been debating between the Goodyear F1's and the PS2's. Currently I am leaning towards the PS2's. Both are outstanding tires from what I hear.

About any high performance tire is better than that wagon wheel of a tire, the conti 2.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I currently have Pilot Sports and am also leaning towards the PS2s. The Pilot Sports are about worn out in the back and are pretty noisy, I'm hoping the PS2s will be quieter. Everything I have read about their performance indicates they are outstanding. The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s are my second choice, they also get very good reviews. Both are expensive but I guess it's the price you pay for the performance.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best 3 tires you can get for the SLK seem to be (in no particular order) the PS2's, the F1 GSD3's, and the Toyo T1S (although I see they have come out the the R1S. Not sure how this tire stacks up).

·
Registered
2000 Black SLK230 LE
115 Posts
I've been running the goodyears for about 10K miles now and I love them.

Had them drop shipped and installed at the goodyear store on west Paces Ferry and I-285. The did a great job.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve230 - 3/4/2005 11:52 PM

I've been running the goodyears for about 10K miles now and I love them.

Had them drop shipped and installed at the goodyear store on west Paces Ferry and I-285. The did a great job.
I know where that store is.

I am either going to use Gran Turismo or Butler tire due to their high speed on car balancing.

I have to apologize. I am the first to admit that I am an awful speller but that is no reason to use 'hear' instead of 'here' in the original post. Crap like that is one of my pet peeves and here I am the one guilty of it.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts

If you want to try the GY F1 GSD3s, I'm in ATL Sat through Tues this month, hanging out waiting for work to call me in. Email at [email protected] I tried to send a PM, but I don't think it went through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts