Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Vibrations

1451 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Peter Guenther
Hi
I know this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer.
There is a vibration through my front wheels when I hit about 50mph and goes away at about 65.
I put on new wheels and tyres and this seemed to help but it's still there.
I've also had the lower wishbone bushes replaced, the anti-rollbar droplinks and front brake discs changed too.
The wheels were balanced when replaced obviously, but was the job done right?
The car also pulls to the right slightly on level roads. Could this be a factor?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
I am having a similar problem. I have a vibration as well between 50-60 mph. Tires have ...

I am having a similar problem. I have a vibration as well between 50-60 mph. Tires have been balanced, new ball joints, new steering pump and gear box. MB said that I need to replace the steering shock, however, my warranty would not pay for it. MB wanted $73 for the part and a half hour labor to install it. However, I saw the part online for $41 and can do it myself. I'm going to replace this and see if there is any vibration. If so, I will get an alignment. Oh, my car is a 98 S500.

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
The car also pulls to the right slightly on level roads. Could this be a factor?
This won't be a factor, unless the car REALLY pulls to the right. It is actually a safety feature which all cars have. All cars pull slightly to the right so that, if you should fall asleep while driving, then you will drive off the road instead of into oncoming traffic.

I don't know the answer to your main question though . . . sorry!

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt
414 Posts
pull to right

Cars appear to pull to the right because the road is crowned, so that rain will run off to the ditch. If you are on a perfectly flat surface and let go of the wheel the car will go straight, an airport runway is an example of a flat level surface.

Barry

· Registered
'95 S420
19 Posts
Judas;

Just talked to my mechanic about the same thing. 50-60 MPH vibration. He noticed that the bearings are slightly loose in the left front wheel. He showed me how the wheel moves slightly back an forth. I am having the bearings repacked (or replaced) depending on what is necessary. I will let you know the results if you are interested. The mechanic thinks that this is my problem. I feel the vibrations through the steering wheel at 50-60 mph.

By the way, I didn't even have a chance to mention this to him when he discovered the loose wheel. And to think that four times I took the car into my dealer. Each time they charged me $115 for a test drive and could not repeat the problem. Frustrating, but at least we have a possible lead. I guess when you are the only dealer in town, you can afford to be sloppy.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
I have had the issue since 94 on a 92 500SEL, they spent a lot of time replacing things under warranty. The best it ever was, when they balanced the (new) tires on the car with a strobe light. It was good after replacing the lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and new Turanzas "road force balanced". I just had them balanced at MB, and it has gotten worse, my tire guy had "roadforce" balanced them, shaved weights and selected the smoothest for the front with higher pressure. I think MB might have taken them back to suggested specs. The vib was a common issue up to 94, when there was a change in springs and 10 milimeter lowering of the car by the factory, and the tires were changed from V to H in speed rating.
As to pulling to the right, unless the road has a real bad crown, the car should track straight, and the steering wheel should be centered. I would suggest checking tire pressures and 4 wheel alignment by a reputable shop and or a good dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.