Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all, I have a question about my 2003 E500. When I accelerate from a stop as car is shifting I get a vibration from the back of the car. Kind of a low rumble sound. Then when cruising on the hwy I get a little vibration at speed. Do Mercedes have a carrier bearing? I had several BMW's and when the carrier bearing was faulty it vibrated. Is this a common issue with Mercedes? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,438 Posts
Yes they have a carrier/center bearing. Also have two flex discs (guibo coupling in BMW terms).

The flex discs will wear and produce a vibration felt in your seat as one symptom. The front disc operates through a larger angle than the rear and will show wear sooner. Both will harden as time goes on.

Another thing to check is the transmission mount and motor mounts.

Skippy

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
Yes they have a carrier/center bearing. Also have two flex discs (guibo coupling in BMW terms).

The flex discs will wear and produce a vibration felt in your seat as one symptom. The front disc operates through a larger angle than the rear and will show wear sooner. Both will harden as time goes on.

Another thing to check is the transmission mount and motor mounts.

Skippy
Does anyone have any additional insights on this topic?

I am experiencing the same symptoms. At first I seemed to notice the vibration when turning left upon acceleration but I can also feel it now when accelerating in a straight line. I can also feel it at speed around 70 to 80 mph. It comes and goes so I am somewhat sure it is not a tire unless maybe a broken belt or something that might be intermittent or come an go.

Are the flex discs a big job to change out? How about the carrier bearing?

Thanks,
Jeff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts