Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced an annoying vibrating rattle in the very top of instrument panel on the very edge where it meets the bottom of dashboard. I can get it to stop by putting slight pressure either up or down at the edge of the top of instrument panel. It could probably be fixed by injecting a small bead of black caulk material in the seam. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,909 Posts
That is very rare. I have never herd a squeek or rattle out of a W212 before. My W203... Now that is a different story. I would take some same color material as your interior and wedge it beween the cluster and the dash. You should not have that much play with the dash at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is very rare. I have never herd a squeek or rattle out of a W212 before. My W203... Now that is a different story. I would take some same color material as your interior and wedge it beween the cluster and the dash. You should not have that much play with the dash at all.
I find this very hard to believe. Sorry for doubting your ears.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Sport, Premium 2, Split folding rear seat, Panorama Sunroof, Driver-side Massage
2 Posts
Has anyone experienced an annoying vibrating rattle in the very top of instrument panel on the very edge where it meets the bottom of dashboard. I can get it to stop by putting slight pressure either up or down at the edge of the top of instrument panel. It could probably be fixed by injecting a small bead of black caulk material in the seam. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have been hesitant on posting this. I have experienced it in my 2011 E350 as well. Slight pressure on the black plastic trim over the instrument panel or sometimes the navi/radio display stops it. Not only is it annoying, but for a car that is barely a year old (I bought mine new on 1 SEP 2011) this is a major issue to me. I have considered taking it to the dealer, but I can only duplicate it on certain roads and at certain speeds. Thus, difficult to convince someone it is an issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been hesitant on posting this. I have experienced it in my 2011 E350 as well. Slight pressure on the black plastic trim over the instrument panel or sometimes the navi/radio display stops it. Not only is it annoying, but for a car that is barely a year old (I bought mine new on 1 SEP 2011) this is a major issue to me. I have considered taking it to the dealer, but I can only duplicate it on certain roads and at certain speeds. Thus, difficult to convince someone it is an issue.
The black panel that surrounds the nav display comes off very easily. I ended up placing a small, thin piece of automotive felt on the upper part of this surrounding assembly and this squeak was eliminated.

·
Registered
2016 E400 4matic, 2014 E350 Luxury Sedan, 2011 E350 Sport Sedan, 1969 280SL
12 Posts
I also have the dreaded rattle in my 2011 E350 sport. It is located around the radio on/off button. Very annoying and I will have to pull off face plate to fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealer replaced the A pillar panel and the honeycomb panel across the dash for the rattle to disappear.
The A pillars are notorious for the rattles. I found the attachment bolt just barely screwed into the sheet metal. I ended up felting the entire metal surface and using blue loctite on the screw (behind the airbag cover). I'll have to check that honeycomb area, that looks like it would make sounds that would bounce all over the cabin off the glass.

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,909 Posts
I find this very hard to believe. Sorry for doubting your ears.
No lie. I have driven a couple of them and seem very solid. Just like the late 211's and late 210's. No rattles. I take it you had lots of them in your car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No lie. I have driven a couple of them and seem very solid. Just like the late 211's and late 210's. No rattles. I take it you had lots of them in your car?
It's mostly the wood inlay areas in the center console that drive me nuts the most. The other rattles are from the plastic panels in the rear. Depending on the temp, they will "pop" as they expand or contract. The dealer refuses to address the center console creaking, so I'll have to find a way to R&R the wood trim and apply some krytox 205.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Got my car a couple weeks after it came out in 2011. Noticed it immediately. Took it to dealer, they said they didn't hear it. The rattle then went away, but came back. It only is present when it's cold outside. It's definitely the black piece above the plastic/glass of the dashboard. Only way to get it to stop is to put pressure on it/smack it. It's like Chinese water torture: at first you think it won't bother you and you can forget about it, but it wears on you more and more and finally drives you crazy. Going to take it back in this weekend to see if they can fix it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts