Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I am not a fan of the B Class having driven it now for over 6 months. The concept is brilliant but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Principal problem is a chronic vibration problem chiefly manisfested through the accellerator pedal (in the auto version at least).
I have ameliorated the problem somewhat by fitting a soft rubber pad on the accellerator pedal (which comes as standard without any type of rubber cover).
Having driven a number of B Class all have demonstrated the same vibration problem so those owners who claim they have not experienced the problem just do not recognise it.
If anybody has a solution I would be glad to hear about it.

· Registered
B200 Turbo
222 Posts
I think a lot of people complain of vibration problems. I don't have any in the pedals, but I do get a lot through the streering wheel. Dealer says it is normal, but it feels like it's an old car with bad engine mounts or something. It my one big complaint.

· Registered
4 Posts
I think a lot of people complain of vibration problems. I don't have any in the pedals, but I do get a lot through the streering wheel. Dealer says it is normal, but it feels like it's an old car with bad engine mounts or something. It my one big complaint.
I haven't run across other postings from other people with this complaint. I also feel the jittering vibrations at idle from my B200T. With just your foot on the floor, it's less noticeable, but with your knees somewhat spread out to touch the door / center console, you can definitely feel the little vibes. Does this really exist on all of our cars? Is there nothing that can be done?

· Registered
see signature
4,023 Posts
Principal problem is a chronic vibration problem chiefly manisfested through the accellerator pedal (in the auto version at least).
Gas or diesel?

· Registered
W245 B-Class 180 CDI
263 Posts
I drive a diesel B180CDI and I don't notice any vibrations/shuddering when driving.
Only a slight vibration when idle, but that's because the idle fuel injection is very (very) lean to reduce emissions (and keep Al Gore happy).
I have no vibrations in the accelerator pedal and none in the steering.

· Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
12,858 Posts
I drive a diesel B180CDI and I don't notice any vibrations/shuddering when driving.
Only a slight vibration when idle, but that's because the idle fuel injection is very (very) lean to reduce emissions (and keep Al Gore happy).
I have no vibrations in the accelerator pedal and none in the steering.
I've had my B200 for almost 2 years now and never any of these vibrations that some of you complain about. Sorry

· Registered
B200 Turbo
222 Posts
I have a B200 Turbo and it too has a terrible idle. When driving, it is very smooth and I'm quite happy for a turbo 4. However, my old 2.4 Chev Z24 had a significantly smoother idle!!!! I've driven about 3 or four other non turbo 200's and they all seem to vary a bit. I'm not sure what the issue is - but my car seems no better, but no worse than the average.

· Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,242 Posts
Flyboy
Seem to remember this fault of yours mentioned in an earlier post somewhere It might pay you to trawl through the early posts ( I don't think this is the normal vibration one that some owners are complaining about but a different problem)

· Registered
B200 Turbo
222 Posts
the old Z24 was a 4 cylinder as well.

My idle fluctuate on the RPM gauge as well (@50-100rpm). Goodness knows it has been to the dealer enough times for various issues - and they seem to feel it is normal.

The majority of my vibration isn't due to idle fluctuations however, but from what feels like bad engine mounts, but I'm sure they are fine. I think that the engine in general is a little rough, and the isolation from the frame could be better.

Jeff

· Registered
58 Posts
I now have my 2008 B200 Turbo for almost 3 weeks , driven for over 1000 km , starting from day 1 I noticed the virbration and I still feel the virbrating at idle and about 3 times at very low speed, like stop completely release the brake to ease just a bit forward, the whole car shoot forward, that could be very dangerous, twice happend when I parked and wanted to ease a bit more by just gently release the brake, the third time happened today just stop behind a car at red light and wanted to move a bit forward the car shoot .......

Anyways, I took the car to the dealer today left it there for a day, they said there was no faulty report and can't replicate the problem so what they did was to upgrade the car's software...(sounded like patching a server...) and problem should go away...sure enough I still feel the virbration/shakes/chiverings at idle...I started to think that its just me ..but I do feel the same with my moms 10 yr old Altima...but I mean mine is 2008 3 weeks old.....:crybaby2:

BTW, I do notice the rpm pointer moves between 650-750 rpm at idle also....

· Registered
W245 B-Class 180 CDI
263 Posts
The problem you describe looks like that of a car with automatic transmission that is pushing into the brakes. If you know what I mean, looks like the clutch has a little slip and the car wants to go forward but the brakes are still on.
Maybe you should check the german forum (motor-talk.de) for this problem. In the german forum there are two guys who work for mercedes, they will know this for sure.

· Registered
58 Posts
I have a B200 Turbo and it too has a terrible idle. When driving, it is very smooth and I'm quite happy for a turbo 4. However, my old 2.4 Chev Z24 had a significantly smoother idle!!!! I've driven about 3 or four other non turbo 200's and they all seem to vary a bit. I'm not sure what the issue is - but my car seems no better, but no worse than the average.

I have the exact same problem plus I have ticking/cracking noise from the sterring wheel in fact I can feel the ticking via the steering when idle....and yes my mom's 10 yr old Altima gives me the same virbration feeling without the ticking from the wheel...but I mean ....this is a 2008 Mercedes we are talking here.....took to dealership they can't find the ticking nor the vibration, in fact I took it for a drive with the mechanic and sure enough the damn thing perform prefectly with no noise at all while testing.....:crybaby2: ....so now I am doing a little log to record when and how these noise happen / heard....so far seems like only when the engine is cold/luke warm that's when the cracking noise is heard though the rough idling presists...

· Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,577 Posts
Smooth at idle

Hi
My B200 turbo with auto idles very smoothly and with no vibration. My SAAB turbo does idle roughly mainly because of multi valve and two over head valve chain drive. The B200 engine seems to have a much smaller mass which should make it rougher.
AS a friend once told me (with and old cooper), "if the car is noisy turn up the radio." Maybe heavier shoes might help.:)

· Registered
see signature
4,023 Posts
The 2 L B-Class engine has a very long stroke of 94 mm, which accentuates any vibration moreso than an equivalent 2 L engine from, say, a Peugeot 504, which was only 83 mm in stroke.

The stroke is so long in the B due in part to the high compression ratio, and also that it is a large displacement version of a smaller displacement (1500, 1700) engine which probably could not yield a larger diameter bore, due to the cylinders being close together, even in the lower displacement versions.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love your technical explaination Mike but why is it that the A Class 180 diesel automatic that I hire regularily (not always the exact same car) exhibits none of the vibration I experience with my B class with the same engine??

· Registered
see signature
4,023 Posts
Your engine mounts may be fried....or your engine is just not a particularly sweet one. It's hard to say...

· Registered
16 Posts
Vibration of Accelerator Pedal

I am driving the B170 Auto for the last 5 months.

Ever since I am getting an irritating vibrating sensation coming from the accelerator pedal.

The local Mercedes Benz service centre says that there is nothing they can do to rectify the problem.

My point is that the vibration is robbing me of a good ride because my foot has to be on the pedal when I am pressing the gas and it is extremely annoying. My foot is literally vibrating in tandem with the pedal!

I have driven many cars, including cheap Jap ones, and none have this problem. I really don't expect Mercedes Benz cars to feel so inferior.

Can anyone give me some technical advice as to what is the problem and the solutions?

My tyre is 215/45 R17 factory-fitted. Is this rim/tyre size producing the vibration through the accelerator pedal?

Please help!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.