Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi recently i have noticed a vibration that shows up at around 70mph, but its random, it doesnt happen all the time. i have also noticed about an inch of play in my steering wheel, is it the tie rods???? I have new ones and im going to put them in but want to know if it could be anything else?

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Vibration & Play Due to Tie Rods??

Get the whole front end inspected. Idler arm bushings, control arms, etc usually all need replaced. Once you get it all replaced it will handle like new! Mine does!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

try the obvious things first though such as tyre pressure , tracking , and tyre balancing you know when they put on the small weights on your wheels ?? not sure wot its called in the u.s.<br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Uneven tire wear due to alignment or steering/suspension wear causes most vibration problems. Out-of-balance tires, warped disks, etc can be a problem.<br> <br> The weakest link in the steering is the idler arm bushings - cheap to replace yourself. Next would be the steering box and steering column linkage, with a worn damper not able to filter out vibrations a new one might mask. Tie rod ends are pretty easy to inspect for wear, and fairly low on the list of likely to be worn out.<br> <br> Steve<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.