Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the S-Class on a longer drive over the highway expecting amazement.... unfortunately something doesn’t feel right. The car just doesn’t feel planted, and there’s a sort of high frequency vibration. I already did the harmonic balancer, engine mounts, thrust arms, one of the flex discs, new ABC pump + fluids + accumulators, rear transmission mount. One of the rear wheels is slightly out of round, but getting new wheels is a big step to take. Still, something doesn’t feel right.

Any ideas? The new harmonic balancer removed lower frequency vibrations, but this is a high frequency sort of uneasy feeling it gives to the car.

I can’t put my finger on it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Rotate the wheels, see if the location of the vibration changes. Also make sure the wheels make clean contact with the hub, clean off the hub/wheel interface when mounting. Those are free options.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking something along the lines of the prop shaft. I also suspect something's going on with the trust arms because I'm getting jiggling under breaking.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm thinking something along the lines of the prop shaft. I also suspect something's going on with the trust arms because I'm getting jiggling under breaking.
Once you inspect the propeller shaft coupling , you will notice that it is deteriorated and will proceed to change it.
It is at least 13 years old now.
But that may not be the deterministic factor, since there are other more obvious variables and the vibration you are talking about is persistent.

May I suggest that you please check:

Tyre condition, and deformation.
Wheel condition and deformation
Wheel bearing condition.

In my experience, I would bet on the first 2 more than the third one.

regards.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once you inspect the propeller shaft coupling , you will notice that it is deteriorated and will proceed to change it.
It is at least 13 years old now.
But that may not be the deterministic factor, since there are other more obvious variables and the vibration you are talking about is persistent.

May I suggest that you please check:

Tyre condition, and deformation.
Wheel condition and deformation
Wheel bearing condition.

In my experience, I would bet on the first 2 more than the third one.

regards.
Back tires are new, front tires are fine. Back wheels have a sort of wobble, although I don't think they are responsible for the vibration at speed. I've tightened the bearings up front. I think it's the prop shaft.

Sometimes the car will run perfectly smooth, but it feels like vibrations travel throughout the car (from unevenness in the roads). That's why I'm thinking the front flex disc (back one is recently replaced).

·
W220 Moderator
5,513 Posts
Back tires are new, front tires are fine. Back wheels have a sort of wobble, although I don't think they are responsible for the vibration at speed. I've tightened the bearings up front. I think it's the prop shaft.

Sometimes the car will run perfectly smooth, but it feels like vibrations travel throughout the car (from unevenness in the roads). That's why I'm thinking the front flex disc (back one is recently replaced).
Hi,

That's why I think it's the Propshaft Centre Bearing Rubber.
Febi Bilstein do an OE quality replacement part ;)

Cheers Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing