Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an incredible general question so I apology in advance.

Why am I getting vibration in my steering wheel?

I noticed it a little right when I got this car but because the last driver was my father and I got a good family discount I didn’t think twice about it, after I drove my work car a 2000 Crown Vic with over 105k with no vibration in the steering I started to worry.

I am thinking this might be the tires, they are not worn out and still have ok tread but they are old, 3 years in South FL weather. the tires seem “dry” if that makes sense.

Also, there are no issues with the air suspension but I have never owed a car with air suspension so the vibration might be because of this. The alignment on the car is fine/perfect and the car only has about 38k (miles).

Any info would be helpful and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 C350 coupe (RWD), miles: 1k & 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD, (lease), miles: 10k & 2000 Ford Crown Vic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
06 E350 4Matic
7 Posts
Kirill -- this may not be your issue, but we are in the same general area, so thought I would post.

The tires on the car when we purchased (used) were ContiSports. They also had good tread, but over time the road noise and vibration increased. Balancing helped, but it did not resolve the issue to my satisfaction. One day, the left rear tire just went flat from a split in the sidewall. Luckily, the car was parked in the garage at the time. When talking with TireRack.com, the rep said that the mounted Contis were Summer tires and simply dried out from year round use in this area. I switched to all season Michelins.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kirill -- this may not be your issue, but we are in the same general area, so thought I would post.

The tires on the car when we purchased (used) were ContiSports. They also had good tread, but over time the road noise and vibration increased. Balancing helped, but it did not resolve the issue to my satisfaction. One day, the left rear tire just went flat from a split in the sidewall. Luckily, the car was parked in the garage at the time. When talking with TireRack.com, the rep said that the mounted Contis were Summer tires and simply dried out from year round use in this area. I switched to all season Michelins.
Yea, I think I will buy these tires, anyone doesn’t agree?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Thanks.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Michelins, I'm using Conti DWS and they're very good, I have about 45K on them and they can handle 10 more, still quiet and much cheaper than the Michelins.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't go wrong with the Michelins, I'm using Conti DWS and they're very good, I have about 45K on them and they can handle 10 more, still quiet and much cheaper than the Michelins.
I had good experiences with Michelins plus tires are the first safety feature in any car, sometimes people forget that good tires are sometimes better then 20+ airbags.

I did say sometimes… :).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Btw, I am a (kind of) new member her. Thanks to all for the advice and explanations!!!

They are always appreciated!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to your original post, did you have the tires balanced lately?
No, have not. Isn’t balancing a time thing (unless accident or you crab your rim hard)?

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
No, have not. Isn’t balancing a time thing (unless accident or you crab your rim hard)?
Rotation - Yes...... more of a mileage thing then Time, but balancing never hurts as per "feel"/hence meaning of your topic/.

Actually , I have somewhat similar "feel at the wheel" and I'm running Michelin's Pilot Exalto A/S 80% tread remaining, and I did appropriate time/mileage rotation and balancing at MB dealer , that tiniest vibration still come & go time to time..So kind of curious myself what can cause it.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I suggest that you do so, I have seen steering wheel vibrations creep up after a wheel weight falls off, uneven tire wear, even tire wear and long miles, etc... Also if the wheel and tire are not matched for balance and you end up with 2 or 3 ounzes of weight in the same spot then the slightest aberation in the setup will cause vibration, in that case, the tire shop should move the tire wrt the wheel, usually 180 degrees.
Unless you have belt separation, dry tires do not vibrate if balanced, the way to test separation is to drive on a smooth road at 30 mph and let go of the steering wheel, if it wiggles, then chances are your belts have lost adhesion and its time to change tires.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
If the tires are getting worn out then they can start vibrating. If you are getting new tires
in the next couple of weeks just wait till then.

·
Registered
98 E-320, 2003 E-500
685 Posts
Could be the engine mounts deteriorating. On my W210, I felt a growing (little) vibration as the car aged (6 year +). It continued to get worse until becoming too noticeable.
Soon as I replaced the mounts (and the tranny mount) the vibration went away totally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the tires are getting worn out then they can start vibrating. If you are getting new tires
in the next couple of weeks just wait till then.
That is the plan!

Thanks.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
If tires look fine and vibration is not isolated to braking, I would suggest having all four “road force” balanced utilizing Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix
Thanks for the tip Konigs.
Went today to place with this miracle machine you suggested & they balanced all 4 tires with ROAD FORCE......... that tiny vibration I felt time to time is GONE.
Turned out to be inside one of the tires was trapped smallest amount of water ( maybe 3-4 table spoons ) saw it with my own eyes when they took tire off after machine was keep getting different readings. What a fine precise calibration this equipment has - VERY Impressive.
Cost of ROAD FORCE balancing was $15 per tire.... but these guys just did it for FREE and even replaced air with Nitrogen.... def.earned my business with such customer service.

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
I would recommend an alignment as well. Just because it is steering straight does not mean the Toe in rear, or even front is not off. Also with crown in the road sometimes it is difficult to tell if alignment is off. I had an alignment problem on my "05" E500 wagon that would cause the car to chew up the rears till they started to make a lot of noise but never out of balance or causing the car to pull to one side or the other.

With an alignment and new set of tires the car should feel like new.

Jeff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts