Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500 Coupe, 1976 450SLC, 1998 E320, 1998 slk230
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem? At first I thought it was the tires, so I had them checked. There was one worn tire, so I just installed a new set of use tires and noticed that the exact same hum is there. Could this be an alignment or cv joint issue? I asked about the CV joint because I noticed a small bit fluid around the hub area. Any ideas what I should check?

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I have a similar problem in my car, not sure if it turns out the same in miles per hour but in kilometers per hour it shakes around 60 and between 100-110, I've been trying to find a solution as well but have no clue where to start, other than tires which were all just replaced

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Has anyone had this problem? At first I thought it was the tires, so I had them checked. There was one worn tire, so I just installed a new set of use tires and noticed that the exact same hum is there. Could this be an alignment or cv joint issue? I asked about the CV joint because I noticed a small bit fluid around the hub area. Any ideas what I should check?
My experience of vibrations in SL and 300D over years:

Tires - replaced with new type with smoother tread design
Tires - dynamically balanced and aligned (vibrated at several harmonic speeds)
Front wheel bearings - replaced (vibrated at several harmonic speeds)
Flex disks - replaced (check for cracks - dangerous if they fail)
Engine and tranny mounts - replaced (usually vibrated while acclerating)
Brakes - freed up or replaced calipers that were binding or seized
mid bearing on prop shaft - replaced (Hard to see - I took pic with small camera to inspect)
exhaust - check rubber mounting loops are intact and exhaust is not contacting heat shields.

I would just keep looking or have shop test drive until we located problem.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
I have a similar problem in my car, not sure if it turns out the same in miles per hour but in kilometers per hour it shakes around 60 and between 100-110, I've been trying to find a solution as well but have no clue where to start, other than tires which were all just replaced

Front wheel bearing replacement is not expensive and good preventive maintenance. If it fixes the vibration, so much the better :)

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
Thankyou very much, looks like I've got my university summer holidays planned, it will be a good opportunity to spend some time with my car :p

·
Registered
1994 S500 Coupe, 1976 450SLC, 1998 E320, 1998 slk230
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check all of the above to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1981 380SL
256 Posts
MB's list is comprehensive. The one thing I would emphasize a bit more is the flex discs. It's one thing to have some humming and vibration. It's another to have humming and vibration that leads to a sudden driveshaft separation and thorough beating of the underside of the car. I would definitely cast a jaded eye at those flexdisks first. There are two, one just behind the transmission propshaft and a second at the differential. If you don't know when they were replaced, I suggest you just go ahead and do it. They're not expensive.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
I had noticed several times there was fluid on the outside of my wheels with fluid in the deep wheel dishes and dripping down the tires. I noticed this for months trying to track down what it was.

It turns out a neighborhood cat had been pissing in my BBS RS wheels... No BS.

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
I had noticed several times there was fluid on the outside of my wheels with fluid in the deep wheel dishes and dripping down the tires. I noticed this for months trying to track down what it was.

It turns out a neighborhood cat had been pissing in my BBS RS wheels... No BS.
LOL!

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts

Tires are not necessarily round. The only way to know they are round for sure is to put them on a tire lathe and have them trued. It also takes care of the break in period of a new tire. I do think the suspension on these cars is capable of feeling that--whereas a Ford Expedition is not. Though I have a friend who used to race cars who says otherwise.

MB is right though, the bearings are probably or might be original, good idea to replace them and inexpensive, the flex discs are also a wear item. If those and the bearing on the propeller shaft are good, then the tires are suspect. It could be just a poor balancing job or the tires are out of round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts