Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question posted on here about vibration and I have yet to totally remedy that issue. I had the AMG wheels sent out and they were slightly off due to some potholes they said. I had them "trued up" and the vibration has improved around 45 MPH. I also had the car aligned and it was dead on. However, the other day I got out on the highway and at 60 MPH I had this groaning/pulsing type sound coming from the car. I have noticed this on other vehicles at certain speeds, I guess the transmissions don't run real smooth at a certain RPMs. I never felt that in the CLK before. Especially since the rims were fized up. I still have the wheel vibration/shimmy problem though at almost all speeds ... NOT NEARLY AS BAD, could this be the Kumho tires on there ? Any other ideas, the car only has 28K on it ...
Dealer has not been helpful and the shop I take it to does not think it's the motor mounts, wheel damper, trans. damper. Any other ideas here ?

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
The only way I've eliminated any vibration is by sticking with premium Michelins like SP Sport or SP2 Sport sports. Other tires just seem difficult to get a perfect balance on this vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2000 E55 AMG, 2009 GL550, 1954 LINCOLN CAPRI. 1967 VW BEETLE
249 Posts
IF your wheels are true, the suspension and drivetrain (dont forget about axle joints.....) are tight, I would suspect that a tire is out of round. A bent wheel or bad tire can still be "balanced" on a machine, but if a tire has a slight amount of run out ,it will drive you nuts. (Runout can be seen when spun on a balancer or detected, depending on the type of balance machine) . What is the dealers opinion on your problems?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts