Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5 Turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the vibration damper on the front of the driveshaft. It bolts up to the front flex disc but it doesn't slide off. It looks like it is made with the driveshaft. I'm wondering if I should just cut it off as the rubber has deteriorated and I'm afraid the metal ring is going to break of while I'm driving.

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5 Turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it off due to me replacing my transmission and I have the flex disc off but can't remove the damper. I'm going to look at it more closely tonight and see if I can remove it. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a hidden screw or bolt somewhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it pertains to the situation I'm in right now.

1985 190E 2.0 here in Florida. The vibration damper is completely rotted away. All that's left is the outer ring. I've read elsewhere on this little known part, it's not needed. Mercedes stopped using them in later years. So I should not replaced it? Or should I since it was later not used due to improvements in the driveshaft, which mine does not have? What's the easiest way to remove this ring? Should I cut it off? It will hang low since the rubber is gone. I've tried to loosen the flex plate bolts but the rear nuts to the bolts are hard to get to. I'll try cutting it with a large bolt cutter first, then hand grinder if needed.
I'm curious to hear if I need to replace this part....?

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
what they referred to as a 'vibration damper' in this thread is in fact a flex disk, something completely different.

and, um, flexdisks are absolutely required on the driveshaft, I've never heard of them 'not needed'.

your 190E is a W201, not a W124, you might try in that forum, no US model W124 ever had a 2.0L engine.

I've had to replace the flex disks on most all my 124's, they don't last forever.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it pertains to the situation I'm in right now.

1985 190E 2.0 here in Florida. The vibration damper is completely rotted away. All that's left is the outer ring. I've read elsewhere on this little known part, it's not needed. Mercedes stopped using them in later years. So I should not replaced it? Or should I since it was later not used due to improvements in the driveshaft, which mine does not have? What's the easiest way to remove this ring? Should I cut it off? It will hang low since the rubber is gone. I've tried to loosen the flex plate bolts but the rear nuts to the bolts are hard to get to. I'll try cutting it with a large bolt cutter first, then hand grinder if needed.
I'm curious to hear if I need to replace this part....?
I'm not familiar with these vibration dampers but if yours is as you describe, I'd say just cut it off and see if the car vibrates. If not, you're done. If so, you know you need to replace it. Start with the easy stuff!

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,119 Posts
W201 and W124 driveline parts have different dimensions but are the same design regardless of motor displacement, and further this is not a US only message board and lots of grey market cars have found their way stateside.

As I was told by an owner of a driveshaft shop about the the vibration damper, "it's just extra shit". The flexdiscs already function as vibration dampers, so it can be left off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what they referred to as a 'vibration damper' in this thread is in fact a flex disk, something completely different.

and, um, flexdisks are absolutely required on the driveshaft, I've never heard of them 'not needed'.

your 190E is a W201, not a W124, you might try in that forum, no US model W124 ever had a 2.0L engine.

I've had to replace the flex disks on most all my 124's, they don't last forever.

Thanks but I knew I was going to get responses such as yours. Your response does not pertain to what I was talking about. These are two separate parts as seen in the op's pictures. The part you're referring to, has no outer ring, silly.... Ive already taken it off and I'll see how it drives once i get there.

·
Registered
1992 190E 1.8 avantgarde rosso
10 Posts
I have a w201, but I think it looks pretty much the same as on w124. I also have this "vibration damper" (2014113047). I noticed that many w201s and w124s don't have this vibration damper. I have to change the flex disc, but I think I won't be changing the vibration damper. The damper is old and the rubber is kinda cracked but I think I won't be changing it, what are your experiences about this?

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
245 Posts
Small Engines in W124 come with three discs in total in their driveshaft disc setup.
There are two in the front section (just like the picture shows above) and one in the rear.
Disc diameter is 90 MM compared to most commonly used 100MM counterparts. (V8 uses 110MM /8 HOLES)
You need to R/R the second disc by removing and separating the front section of the whole shaft.
Normally I like to remove the whole shaft and put on / examine the discs on the ground...
It would be much easier and labor saving.
At the same time, it is a good idea to examine the supporting mounting / and its inner bearing as well.
Mine (W124 E220) comes with the same setup with yours...so this might be my suggestion to u as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1992 190E 1.8 avantgarde rosso
10 Posts
Small Engines in W124 come with three discs in total in their driveshaft disc setup.
There are two in the front section (just like the picture shows above) and one in the rear.
Disc diameter is 90 MM compared to most commonly used 100MM counterparts. (V8 uses 110MM /8 HOLES)
You need to R/R the second disc by removing and separating the front section of the whole shaft.
Normally I like to remove the whole shaft and put on / examine the discs on the ground...
It would be much easier and labor saving.
At the same time, it is a good idea to examine the supporting mounting / and its inner bearing as well.
Mine (W124 E220) comes with the same setup with yours...so this might be my suggestion to u as well.
Good luck.
Thanks for replying, I will most likely remove the whole shaft and change all three discs, central bearing with mounting and centering bushings. If you could only explain what "R/R" stands for :)

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,919 Posts
Inside automotive speak R&R = Remove & Replace

Outside automotive speak R&R = Rest & Recreation

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks but I knew I was going to get responses such as yours. Your response does not pertain to what I was talking about. These are two separate parts as seen in the op's pictures. The part you're referring to, has no outer ring, silly.... Ive already taken it off and I'll see how it drives once i get there.
I am going through the EXACT same thing now and getting the WRONG answers. Can you tell me if yours is an automatic or a stick shift? And where are you with this now? I'd appreciate any advice you've got, though mine is a manual. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going through the EXACT same thing now and getting the WRONG answers. Can you tell me if yours is an automatic or a stick shift? And where are you with this now? I'd appreciate any advice you've got, though mine is a manual. Thanks, Dan
5 speed. I've sold the car months ago and never got to drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whatever you do, either cut/fix/replace it. but don't let vibration damper dangle on the drive shaft. Mine slided down drive shaft and interferes with the shifter linkage operation, making the most horrible noise. Not knowing what it was i had to turn around during a car trip. I did the easier way by put it back on the trinagle bracket and super glued and use a chose clamp around the drive shaft and fix a circular thick aluminum plate(like license plate) to keep it from coming off and slide back. It came off for over a year and the car drives fine without vibration until I found out what happen when the noise starts. so remove it is fine so don't have to deal with shaft removal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts