Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To update:

The rear shocks were replaced at ~95k miles.
The fronts were never replaced.

I just ordered new Bilsteins to rectify this and see what happens.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Couple of things:
  • can you isolate where the vibration comes from? Ex: right front wheel, left rear, engine area, etc?
  • if by "they are original" you mean your struts and shocks are 28 years old and have (fill in the blank) miles on them, then you might be very surprised at how well the car will perform with new ones.
Vibration appears to be from the rear of the car, can’t really tell what side-almost feels center. Flex disc? It’s going in for shocks so I’ll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1975 300D, 1991 2.5D
81 Posts
I have recently been thru a similar issue with my w201 190D.
Inital cold run vibration , sometimes bordering on being a shake .

Changed both flex couplings , center brg support , rear tyres , balanced fronts , with little effect .

Had a chat with a friend , result we changed the lower suspension ball joints (front and rear )

All issues gone away .

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have a really good spare I would suggest changing one wheel at a time to eliminate any bad ones .We did have an issue here in Oz some time ago where tyres that were hot and then parked and left overnight in the cold ,developed a flat spot which became obvious in the morning until the tyre was heated again .

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have recently been thru a similar issue with my w201 190D.
Inital cold run vibration , sometimes bordering on being a shake .

Changed both flex couplings , center brg support , rear tyres , balanced fronts , with little effect .

Had a chat with a friend , result we changed the lower suspension ball joints (front and rear )

All issues gone away .
This is just about what it feels like, it’s very odd.

So I just got the estimate for MB to change the shocks and it’s pretty steep. Anyone in the Portland area that’s willing to lend some tools and a hand?

I can supply toilet paper as payment, since that’s the new currency of the realm...

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
I can only imagine what they would charge at MB. You might look for or ask for recommendations of an Indy mechanic in the Portland area who "cut his teeth" on W124s. The scary thing about a dealership in this day and age, is that you told them what you wanted, they will do it, but probably don't have any W124 knowedgeable techs on staff any more if the problem is still there after getting new struts. An experienced Indy should be cheaper to evaluate your problem and recommend a solution.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,720 Posts
Changing the shocks and struts are about the simplest of things to do on these cars. Does not need special tools other than wrenches and a hydrolic jack.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,334 Posts
This is just about what it feels like, it’s very odd.

So I just got the estimate for MB to change the shocks and it’s pretty steep. Anyone in the Portland area that’s willing to lend some tools and a hand?

I can supply toilet paper as payment, since that’s the new currency of the realm...

Ahhhh yes, the brilliance of hoarding toilet paper....because toilet paper will save you in a virus apocalypse.

Kevin

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ahhhh yes, the brilliance of hoarding toilet paper....because toilet paper will save you in a virus apocalypse.

Kevin
I actually don’t have any, because I don’t follow the herd....just figured the jab would lighten the mood.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
I actually don’t have any, because I don’t follow the herd....just figured the jab would lighten the mood.

It did, at least with me. Our food stores are just getting back to normal after the entitlment hoarders cleaned them out. The first thing sold out was toilet paper. But then again, this is the ground zero state.

Kevin

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,213 Posts
Kinda sounds like the guy who got banned from Amazon for hoarding tens of thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer during this time of need and trying to pawn it off for some crazy figure like $80 a bottle.

Although after getting caught and kicked out, he now claims he is going to donate it all.

He definitely qualifies to be on the cover of Douchebag magazine.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Kinda sounds like the guy who got banned from Amazon for hoarding tens of thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer during this time of need and trying to pawn it off for some crazy figure like $80 a bottle.

Although after getting caught and kicked out, he now claims he is going to donate it all.

He definitely qualifies to be on the cover of Douchebag magazine.
When somebody like that tries to amend their behavior by some charity gesture, it does nothing to amend the original thieving mindset; gouge people based on their fear factor.

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Wow are we off topic :) While we are there, let's consider that someone as devious as one who preys on his fellow man during a crisis, will most likely SAY they are donating to charity, but in reality NEVER WILL. I may have been born at night - but it wasn't LAST night. :)

·
Registered
1980 450slc, 1980 280sl, 1992 300ce
30 Posts
So I have a weird vibration at speed that only occurs in the mornings when the car is cold. It does not occur at any other time of day or condition. It feels like a wheel vibration/a heavier weight being thrown around that dissipates after a few minutes of highway driving.

I just put new tires on yesterday thinking that was the cause since they were old and had dry rot. Could it just be flat spots in the tires? Never had this issue in any of my other cars before and not sure if it’s something that maybe known to the forum.

Any help is appreciated.

It's the hard rubber collar around the center bearing at the midpoint of the driveshaft. This is the exact symptom when they get old and fatigued.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's the hard rubber collar around the center bearing at the midpoint of the drive shaft. Your description of the symptoms fits exactly with what happens when they become old and fatigued.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I’ve new shocks, tie rods, and a few other front end bits as of today. The car handles the highway MUCH better. Not as plush a ride, but they’ll wear in a bit.

I’ll see tomorrow morning if the vibration is still there.

Also, they checked the flex disc and carrier bearing. Flex disc is not worn and fine, the carrier is old but not cracked or visibly worn. I’ll get under the car after I get her across the US but for now that’s all I got.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This vibration that goes away after a few minutes of driving has happened with me three times. Twice with BMW and once with my 300CE, Changing out the center bearing and its housing fixes it.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This vibration that goes away after a few minutes of driving has happened with me three times. Twice with BMW and once with my 300CE, Changing out the center bearing and its housing fixes it.
I’ll likely tackle this when I get across back to PA, I don’t think it’s really going to affect much for the trip. That and I just dumped another 2k in to her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once the old part comes out, compare it in your hands with the new part. The old part will be all flexible and able to bend. The new part will be stiff.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts