Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a vibration issue which is different from what I have read in this forum. I have a 1999 E320 Base (104K Miles) and it has a vibration starting at 40 mph and fully disappears at around 47-48 mph. I can feel the vibration in the steering. the following work was done in past two months.
1. Brand new Continental tires about 600 miles on it now.
2. Wheels balanced and inspected for true shape deformation etc.
3. Differential fluid change, all synthetic
4. new flex disc both front and rear.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

zak

·
Registered
2 Posts
same issue with my 210 e55. I have replaced motor mounts,trans mount, loosen exhaust stress. the vibration starts approx. 41 mph and goes away approx. 45

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your lower control arm bushings - I had vibration at higher speeds, but replacing the bushings eliminated the problem. If yours are original after 16-17 years, replacements are probably in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
possible. car only has 67k and the control arm bushings look ok. more info, vibration only happens on first drive of the day. doesn't even happen after car sits while I'm at work.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That last post seems strange to me; why vibration, then no vibration? My '01 E430 (69K) has a similar problem, namely, vibration in the seats (can even feel it in the steering wheel, but no shimmy in the wheel, and it's all the time from ca. 38-48 mph). I've balanced tires three different times, no change. I've moved a new spare onto each of the back wheels (one at a time, of course), no change. My indie says the front end rubber and ball joints are good. This is a beautiful car, but it's driving me batty trying to figure out the problem. I sympathize, man.
James

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a bad left side motor mount right now, and I have the surging vibration between 40-50mph. At times you can see the outside mirror shake. I know the motor mount is history, I just haven't gotten around to getting a replacement.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If the vibration occurs when you first drive the car after it's been sitting overnight or, worse, for a few days, it may be that the tires develop flat spots. I had a set of Continentals on my car and this seemed to happen regularly. Not so much after I replaced them with Falkens.

On my other car, a Triumph TR8, I had a vibration that would always start at around 50 mph then subside over 55. Turned out the wheel bearings on one side were loose. Adjusting the preload on the bearings solved that problem. So it might be worth checking for play in the wheel bearings.

Fred

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
How could practically-new Michelin tires develop flat spots overnight? Besides, my vibration problems NEVER go away, so how could it be any overnight thing. My wife has driven Camrys for almost twenty years and we've never had this kind of problem. Am I missing something here?
James
P.S. I hesitated to mention Camry (gasp!), since I personally hate those cars, but doggone it, they don't have the problems I've had with MBs over the past fifteen years.
P.S. 2. No, I'm NOT going to sell my MB (no way!) and buy a Camry for myself. But I continually hope for better reliability on my MB. Sigh!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
How could practically-new Michelin tires develop flat spots overnight? Besides, my vibration problems NEVER go away, so how could it be any overnight thing...
New Michelins probably wouldn't develop flat spots. And, if the vibration doesn't go away in a few miles, then that's not it. Could be many other things. Loose wheel bearings, worn ball joints, bad bushings, bent wheel, out of round tire, flex disks, driveshaft carrier bearing...

Fred

1 - 14 of 14 Posts