Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 E320 with 203,000 miles on it. Recently I took the car to get a front end alignment and the shop pointed out the chunks of rubber were missing from the rear flex discs and the front was cracked. I stopped driving the car and ordered two new flex discs URO Part brand, part# 210 410 0815 (kit included new bolts). The dealer wanted $430 for the two discs so I ordered the aftermarket brand.

I took the car to a reputable shop in town that used to specialize in Mercedes but now services more Ferraris and Lambos. The shop mechanic was very familiar with the direction of discs and how the notches fit into the splines. They replaced the front and rear discs but said that there is vibration in driveline when under load (acceleration):crybaby2:. They said the vibration is caused by non OEM part and not to be concerned. The car did not vibrate when dropped off, even with the damaged old torn discs.

1) Does this sound correct?

2) Will this vibration cause damage? Should I be concerned? Vibration in noticeable in the steering when hitting the accelerator between 25 and 45 mph.

3) Is it possible the drive shaft became out of balance some how during the install? If so, how can balance it?

If you have has a similar is please share!! Unfortunately I don't have endless amounts of money to dump into this old car. I just want to make sure it's ok to drive as is and wont tear up anything else. Plan to keep car two more years at most.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300, MY11 W212 S350
834 Posts
URO - 'Nuff said.

Why didn't you buy Lemforders from an aftermarket supplier?

Your mechanic may have split the drive shaft if he removed it. He may have split it and then not reassembled it exactly as removed. The driveshafts are dynamically balanced at the factory.

The vibrations may prematurely damage your new URO's

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if its a balancing issue. Drove car some more now its making a slight strange sound (faint rubbing sound) in the center of the car between 30 and 40 mph. Car does not vibrate at high speeds or make sound. I think may be time to get rid of this car. This can get expensive to resolve.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300, MY11 W212 S350
834 Posts
Might be the centre bearing in your drive shaft.
These are relatively cheap to replace
Your mechanic should have replaced it when the flex disks were done.
Are you not a DIYer?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
URO:

U
Replace
Often

They are junk. Replace them with Febi or Lemfoerder, last time I checked autopartsway had the best price on Lemfoerder.

If the shop knew what they were doing, the would have inspected the center bearing/support, so I doubt there is an issue with it.

Get those crappy URO things out of there before this happens to you.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
URO:

U
Replace
Often

They are junk. Replace them with Febi or Lemfoerder, last time I checked autopartsway had the best price on Lemfoerder.

If the shop knew what they were doing, the would have inspected the center bearing/support, so I doubt there is an issue with it.

Get those crappy URO things out of there before this happens to you.
URO parts are horrible. I put a transmission mount in my 06 E320 CDI and it was worst than the one I replaced. Bought a Metzler which makes the OEM parts and it is perfect (like new).

I agree, Get them out and replace with OEM.

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
I had the same happen to me. Used one original merc flex disc and one non-original.
Some vibration after the install. All it requires is the re-balancing of the shaft. Try find someone who does that in your area. Should fix it right as rain.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I had the same happen to me. Used one original merc flex disc and one non-original.
Some vibration after the install. All it requires is the re-balancing of the shaft. Try find someone who does that in your area. Should fix it right as rain.
There are quality aftermarket parts.

URO is not one of them.

Unless the installer mismatches the shaft with the AT output or driveline input (which they shouldn't do) there is no need to rebalance the shaft.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
uro is junk, should be replaced with quality part, but i highly doubt it's causing the vibration. sounds like a balancing issue of the drive shaft, pretty common mistake. but i wouldn't bother with re-balancing, just get a quality part and tell them to rebalance when replacing and then return the uro part back as defective. also would be smart to replace the driveshaft support bearing since you are there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mechanic was the problem not the part

Tirona what you said was what I thought too. Well I called around to drive shaft balancing shop and the local mercedes dealer. The both agreed that a rubber disc made in china or not should not cause vibration unless a majority of the disc was missing. Head mechanic at dealer said it would be difficult to get the shaft out of balance unless the shaft was completly disassembled. The old parts had large chuncks of rubber missing but the drive line never had vibration.

I guess there are still good people left in the world:), after talking to a shop that balances drive shaft for big rigs they were confused and asked me to bring it by to look at it for free. To everyones surprise the flex disc that were just installed yesterday were about to drop out of the car along with the driveshaft!!!!:eek::mad: I guess they felt sorry for me and tightened the bolts (two bolts almost fell out, see pics)for free because they said it would be to dangerous for me to leave otherwise. Surprise, Surprise all vibration is gone!!!:thumbsup:

I have already talked to shop that did the work yesterday and asked that they checked the torque on all the bolts as well as look for damage to the new parts. Hope they weren't trying to double charge by leaving bolts loose and telling me it was due to cheap parts, then tighting the bolts and charging me another full 3hrs labor plus parts then tighting the URO discs on second trip!!!

Attached are picture of the loose bolts as discovered by the driveshaft shop less than 24hrs after the repair. I also included pics of the old discs as well.
I was lucky both times!!

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be the centre bearing in your drive shaft.
These are relatively cheap to replace
Your mechanic should have replaced it when the flex disks were done.
Are you not a DIYer?
Well I am one of those fat middle aged Americans. I recently ended up on the 215lbs side of things. Believe me I tried but without a lift, I found it to be very difficult to squeeze under the car for this repair:surrender:. This has given me an incentive to shed those extra 25 or 30 pounds:D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts