Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 slk230 steering wheel vibrates violently when I apply the brakes at moderate to high speeds on the freeway (50mph or higher). When the brakes are not applied, the car drives smoothly. The brake padel does not vibrate, just the steering wheel. Please help - the steering vibrations are so violent, noisy and scary!.

Update: Had front tires re-balanced today and that improved the vibration, but did not eliminate it. Vibration now occurs at slightly higher speeds (above 65mph)

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
symptoms sound like warped rotors... not noticable slow speed braking only higher speed

vibration under braking is rotors warped. they could have warped from
1) over heating the brakes
2) brake caliper not "floating" (grease slide pins) causing one side to stick over time causing uneven wear
3) bearings shot causing rotor to not run true and wear unevenly

most places (well here anyway) wont resurface the rotors as the material is so soft. they always put new ones on. getting new ones will fix the problem for a while but if any of the above is not 100% it will come back.

brake shop can check it out for you easily....

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
My 2000 slk230 steering wheel vibrates violently when I apply the brakes at moderate to high speeds on the freeway (50mph or higher). When the brakes are not applied, the car drives smoothly. The brake padel does not vibrate, just the steering wheel. Please help - the steering vibrations are so violent, noisy and scary!.

Update: Had front tires re-balanced today and that improved the vibration, but did not eliminate it. Vibration now occurs at slightly higher speeds (above 65mph)
Mine did exactly the same - was not aware of a problem until getting onto the freeway - (YIKES!)- I would bet your rotors are at the end of their useful life and are at minimum thickness.

No biggie - plenty of good rotors around $60 (tirerack.com etc)- Get dustless pads while you are at it!
Easy job.

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the front rotors with real MBZ brand and now my baby is back and healthy!!!! Lesson learnet: Don't use inferior aftermarket rotors - they only lasted 10 months before heat warp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts