Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting a vibrating noise from the dash board and need some help finding out what that might be. I only hear it when I'm at low rpm and sounds like it's coming from behind the speedometer. I have 2001 E430.

Tried search and didnt show any results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
C126 SEC500 - Ford LTD Stretch Limo - 1964 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - 2011 Holden Caprice
180 Posts
You may want to start by pulling out the instrument cluster and seeing if there's something behind it or if there's something loose inside it...

here's how to start...

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Is your speedometer acting normally? Since that is where you hear the sound I suspect that is involved.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Musikmann: The speedo works fine so it may be something else.
OK, thanks for the quick reply. I have never pulled my cluster so don't know what else is behind it.

Why don't you try pulling the cluster, and without unplugging it as shown in the video, see if you can pin point the sound?

·
Registered
c124 300-24ce sportline
209 Posts
when i thought i had a horrible dash rattle it turned out to be the sun visor not clipped in place properly. also could it be the engine mounts gone and making the dash rattle?

·
Registered
2000 (June, 26) w210 E430 4matic (lpg) + 1980 w123 230 40k (petrol)
109 Posts
I have the same thing since I bought my E430 6 six years ago. I do not have it in low revs but when accelerating rapidly. Even the MB dealer looked at it, with no avail. Still there. Since I am a relaxed driver, I do not hear it all that often.

·
Premium Member
1999 E320 4Matic (Sold) 2002 E320 4Matic (Sold) 1997 Infinity QX 4 SUV 4x4 (Survival vehicle)
968 Posts
I have a rattle right in the middle of the instrument cluster. Seems worse when going over washboard type road surfaces.
I have pulled the cluster 3 times. Still rattles.
Tightened all lamp holders in the cluster, and still it persists.
Not the door panels, as I replaced all the retainers, just in case.
Very annoying for a MB.

·
Registered
2001 E430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was planning on pulling my cluster tonight but the noise stopped this morning. When it comes back or have more time, I will pull the cluster and see if anything is loose.

Thanks for the help guys.

JH

·
Registered
1 Posts
buzzing noise

I have a similar problem in my 2013 S550. There is a buzzing/vibration noise coming from the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It gets worse on rougher streets and as my speed increases. I thought it was the vent. I have taken it to multiple dealerships, multiple time but they cannot find or fix the problem. I've had the car about 6 months and I'm already thinking about trading it in. I think I have a lemon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts