Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC 2 Door V8 - eBay Post-1970, Collector Cars, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-May-08 23:47:09 AEST)

I really don't know where to start on this one.

"can be converted to a convertible" WHAT?? yes, it can, I've seen it done, ugly as sin!!!

"can be converted to right hand drive" Um, yeah, so what, they made them right hand drive anyway, why would you want to convert one.

But hey, it's "Amaculant"... hmmm, spell checker anyone???

"the last time I priced this car when I was going to buy on it was in the USA and it was for $40,000USD, last year" Um, get off the drugs dude, these are worth SFA in the states at the moment, a lot less than they should be worth really. Hell, you can pick a mint SLC in the States for $10,000. A dodgy one will set you back less than $1,000.

"The 450 SLC had two-doors, hard-top, and seating for four. It was similar to the 450 SL but with a longer wheelbase which increased the weight slightly. The rear passengers window is actually a 1/4 window with a louvered panel which provided extra privacy. Production lasted from 1977 through 1981. The 450 SLC is renowned for its performance and was constructed by the manufacturer as a homologation special to compete in marathon rallies. Another purpose was to act as an experimental car, a test vehicles which would gather data for use in the construction of their next generation aluminum engines." - Um, okay this blurb applies to the 107.026 cars, the 450SLC 5.0 and 500SLC, your car is neither of these.

Have you got any documentation for that milage???

Oh, well, I guess it is his time and money he is wasting by listing it like that. If you are selling something, I think it might help to learn about not only what you are selling, but the market as well.

Thank god for people like this, they stop me from getting bored.

Foto

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
It was similar to the 450 SL but with a longer wheelbase which increased the weight slightly.
My SLC VIN plate lists a GVW of 4720 pounds. I've read several articles, one on OurSL I believe, stating that an SL, with hardtop in situ is actually heavier than an SLC. What do any of your SL ID plates say?

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
My SLC VIN plate lists a GVW of 4720 pounds. I've read several articles, one on OurSL I believe, stating that an SL, with hardtop in situ is actually heavier than an SLC. What do any of your SL ID plates say?
My 78 lists at 4640 lbs. It doesn't say if that's with or without the hard top.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,327 Posts

·
29,327 Posts

·
29,327 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You know, I put that bingo in there for the previous post but while I was getting a refill dave snuck that one in and it seemed appropriate.
BTW: 1 kilo pound (klb) = one thousand pounds. That was in relation to the listing.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Scott's '78 is 4640, and your '80 is 4265. Could, or better would, they have trimmed almost four hundred pounds?

·
29,327 Posts
You know, I put that bingo in there for the previous post but while I was getting a refill dave snuck that one in and it seemed appropriate.
BTW: 1 kilo pound (klb) = one thousand pounds. That was in relation to the listing.
Well, if you can have a metric ton why not a kilo pound?

Obscure as it is.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
I didn't doubt you, but I am surprised they pared that much weight. Now I'm curious. Just how much did they trim in later years?

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
I suppose they could, or did.
View attachment 179004

BT edit: Dave, I know what 4.265 klb is, I just abbreviated it in keeping with the listing.

And You call Hal daft, man.
No, he called you and everyone else daft.

He called me a neuron. (I figure that's because he knows I have so many of them that work so well!)

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
On my 1973 reg. lbs us is 3625. I dont know the translation to klb.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On my 1973 reg. lbs us is 3625. I dont know the translation to klb.
This is just getting silly now.....

3.625 klb's maybe??

I can't believe I'm buying into this.... Oh, hang on, it's my thread.... strange, it doesn't look like it though.... LOL.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts