Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1980 380 SE (Euro)
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed this for a while, but i wasn't sure what the problem was/is.

My 380se seems to "hit" harder when it shifts up... a very noticeable jolt. also, whenever i shift from park to reverse/drive to reverse, it also hits very hard. I'm doing a full fluid flush very soon, and would like to know if it would help the tranny to do so.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
First, check the flex disc in the driveshaft on both ends for wear. Sounds like you need new ones.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
sounds like you pressure modulator adjustment is high turn it about a 1/4 turn anti clockwise and see what that does

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
lander91 said:
sounds like you pressure modulator adjustment is high turn it about a 1/4 turn anti clockwise and see what that does
where abouts is this adjustment? i can't seem to find it in the service manual...

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
On the left hand side of the trans, you should see a rubber cap for the 722.350's or a white dial for the 722.323's (it will be this one for your sec) these units will have a vacuum hose going into them. For the .350 take the cap off and use a flathead to lever out the little T bar key, not all the way out mind you, turn this to adjust clockwise = harder/quicker changes, anti-clopckwise for smoother/slower shifts. For the .323 just rotate the dial, theres a indicator/lever on the side of the dial that helps you get purchase and tell you how far youve rotated it. For the .350 the key fits back into little slots in the hole.
This adjustment will not change the shift points only the feel of the shift. To adjust the shift points higher or lower in the rev range you must adjust the bowden cable slider at the throttle linkage, right for higher revs, left for lower, only adjust in very small increments.
Too much of either adjustment isnt that great for the transmission.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
lander, can you define the Bowden cable adjustment a little more specifically please, is it right from the perspective of inside the car (as in the right hand side as for RHD) or right as you face it from the front of the car? And v.v.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
sorry yeah its right while looking at the engine standing at the front of the car

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
yeah although that maybe a bit much in retrospect, perhaps just 1/8 turn and then see.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
too much stress on the parts, i.e. too hard is like having a high rev stall converter there's a point where there is a high amount of shock on all the parts, over time this will start to stretch clearances and stress metals & seals then bye bye transmission.

·
Registered
1980 380 SE (Euro)
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, i'll try that.
thanks =]

do ihave to take anything apart to check the flex discs?

if so, i might have to wait till summer, as she's my DD.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
nope. just slide under the car and examine the ends of the driveshaft. use a flashligt and look closely for cracks or anything ascue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts