Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, and thanks for taking time to acknowledge this need for help. I'm currently looking at a 1980 380 SLC and am seriously considering buying.
My question is this, do the 380 SLC's also come with a single row timing chain? (this plays a great factor in my decision to buy) I can't seem to locate this info anywhere and any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!![8)]

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
"my baby's got me locked up in chains"

This is copied from sl107.com. . .

"The US 380 initally had a single-row timing chain, which was more prone to stretch. Majority opinion seems to be that it was perfectly OK if maintained absolutely by the book, but could stretch earlier than on other MB's and create the possibility of mistiming the cams, thus producing expensive noises of valves and pistons coming together.
MB switched to a double-row timing chain for US cars with the '84 model; the Euro 380 always had it. Most earlier 380's have had the conversion done. To the best of my knowledge, there was not an official program from MB on the change, but I may be wrong."

I can't promise it's accurate, but I copied it off the board correctly.[:D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I really hope this is true because I really like the car. I'm also looking at an '...

Thanks, I really hope this is true because I really like the car. I'm also looking at an '81 280E which is very nice as well. It is cheaper than the 380SLC, but I think it may be large for the streets out here. I'm trying to learn more about both cars seeing that they are both european. I want to know which one will last, common problems, etc. I appreciate the help!
[^]

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
comparing apples and clams?

I would check on the differences on that 280 motor, european style, on the other BenzWorld forum. If that's a "C" E, that's a classy pillarless coupe. If it's a 4-door, aarrgh, in my biased opinion. But you can find a 280 engine anywhere. I ain't so sure about that 380. I bought my 380sl last week. I always loved the slc, but now that I have a drop-top, I am hooked.

In fact, I might recommend any of these forums that have a lot of response. Posting on the wrong one might get you a scolding, but might also get enough visibility to get you some help. The end might justify the means. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts