Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a w140 steering wheel fit into a w126?

i've located a source that manufactures steering wheels for mercs....i'm quoted a zebrano w140 wheel for $150.

if anyone else is interested....let me know.

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
are there any other choices of wood besides zebrano?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As far as I have heard, a 140 steering wheel will not fit a 126. Certain 129 steering wheels have been fitted with modification of the horn ring. I'd get confirmation before attempting the swap.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...so does it or doesn't it??

i've also asked the same question from the mfrs. will let u know.

i'm attaching pix of what they've sent me. they don't do the w126 steering any more because they don't have its 'core' any longer.

they do steerings in burlwood, zebrano, leather etc... these guys are actually one of the larger backend suppliers to the trade...including oem.

they also do a third type of 'sport' wheel, known as v2...the pix are of normal and v1 type.

ex-factory prices are $155 and $200 respectively.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
is it just me or are people blind on this forum!? I made 2 threads regarding this....and STILL am not 100% sure it will work. Despite that finding the wheel with the airbag cover is next to impossible.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My wheel is identical to what you are calling v-1. It is so gorgeous, I kept it in bed with me the night I received it. Bought it from a German vendor, I believe Raid is the manufacturer. After purchasing the early 126 adapter and correct airbag, it was over $1100. Worth every penny. Smaller in diameter and thicker rim, not to mention the curved areas for your hands.

Just called my German vendor. He still has the v-1 type. The price has gone up a little do to the currency rates. $1250 to the U.S.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright...had the car in at the main dealer to check the issue with the battery/alternator...

asked them about the possibility of fitting a 140 wheel onto the 126.

they said they didnt' know.. they had never attempted it.

so there u go. i'll check with my own mechanics and report back.

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
MRTIKKET - 5/3/2005 7:58 PM

My wheel is identical to what you are calling v-1. It is so gorgeous, I kept it in bed with me the night I received it. Bought it from a German vendor, I believe Raid is the manufacturer. After purchasing the early 126 adapter and correct airbag, it was over $1100. Worth every penny. Smaller in diameter and thicker rim, not to mention the curved areas for your hands.

Just called my German vendor. He still has the v-1 type. The price has gone up a little do to the currency rates. $1250 to the U.S.
the wheel you are talking about is manufactured by victor if i´m recalling this correctly...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JR_Rider - 5/4/2005 11:43 PM

The wheel WILL fit. You all don't seem to want to listen.
i'm listening.

my mechanic says that the wheel will fit!!! but says that the airbag won't work!!

now whats that all about?

i'm still going to take a chance.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Oh, well my 300sd doesn't have an airbag anyway. But those airbags may not function properly anyway, because they have reached their expiration date. I don't know how to rewire the airbag to work properly, but imagine that it can't be that difficult. Seems like a splice and rewire job to me, but hey, what do I know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got an email back from the mfr today.

the w140 will NOT fit the 126!!!!

thats the end of that argument. damn[:(!]

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
ok what about the late W124 wheel? I think ill scrap this idea and get myself a LATE W126 leather wrapped wheel cause im sure that will fit my 83 and I found PLENTY so im lucky there. Ill just not connect the airbag.....all the ones I found had the airbag cover aswell.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the airbag has been used, (from waht i know), you need to get someone really preofessional to fix it. Airbags require an explosion of nitrogen gas that triggers the airbag when the car sense a compete stop. I dunno, i just learned it on chem a few months ago. Good luck

ROd-ALi

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Benzonline - 5/7/2005 6:46 PM

ok what about the late W124 wheel? I think ill scrap this idea and get myself a LATE W126 leather wrapped wheel cause im sure that will fit my 83 and I found PLENTY so im lucky there. Ill just not connect the airbag.....all the ones I found had the airbag cover aswell.
a late 124 wheel will fit the 126. i had put one on myself. all it required was some mounting stuff taken off ur orig wheel and put onto the new wheel to replicate the core.

i took it off as it was blocking some of the instruments...as our cars don't have vertical wheel adjust.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DEF-C - 5/5/2005 10:32 PM

MRTIKKET - 5/3/2005 7:58 PM

the wheel you are talking about is manufactured by victor if i´m recalling this correctly...
Yes, Victor makes the steering wheel. It is sold by many in Europe. The raid site specifically shows it for the 126 with airbag and non airbag models. After receiving no relies to numerous emails to raid, I purchased from another vendor. The wheel fits your hand like a glove and as you can see, looks fantastic. Significantly smaller in diameter with a fatter, sportier grip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts