Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
^^^^Wtching that on the news here the analysis from a pilot was it was pilot error but who knows...........

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Can a pilot fly sideways by accident?
Looks like wind to me.

Just saw that the winds were 155mph winds from a storn named Emma, the American pilot giving the analysis said if the winds were running anything above 65mph winds then you start thinking about aborting, think this is what he was referring to as Pilot error because the tower in Germany had left it up to the pilot as his call............

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
That I totally agree with. I was wondering why he was still pushing it down when it was obviously unsafe. Aborting probably saved everybody's lives.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
That I totally agree with. I was wondering why he was still pushing it down when it was obviously unsafe. Aborting probably saved everybody's lives.

True but if you are management of that airlines and since this thing made NBC, FOX plus probably YouTube and just about every other network news station I would foresee a few months at a desk in this pilot's future..........

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Jeez, he was crabbing the whole approach. I doubt he knew just how bad crosswinds were at the surface until he got there. Tower did the right thing, as did the pilot though I think I would have hit the throttles after tapping the port side. That starboard tap was the hard one.

Bad part is he had to do that whole approach again.

·
Registered
19,471 Posts
I wonder if the landing gear is equipped for crabbing?

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
I wonder if the landing gear is equipped for crabbing?
I believe on the big planes it can rotate about 20 degrees but they tend to NOT use it as the pilots can right the plane quicker than the mechanical devices can react. I DO NOT recall where I read that and it would have been 25 years ago in a technical journal while I was still in R&D. So foggy memory alert on this one.

I remember watching the big BUFFs Takeoff and land in hard cross winds from Typhoons in Thailand and their center gear would pivot. I don't think it was free pivot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts