Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now with the winter coming my windshield started to get foggy at times, so I started to turn the air distribution knob to blow air on the windshield and I noticed that, regardless of the position of the knob, air is always blowing from the centre air vents. The volume is smaller than when the distribution is through them and the fog on the windshield quickly goes away, but I'm wondering is this is normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
It's normal.......if you don't want it, you have to shut the vent off with the roller.

If it's very foggy due to high humidity, then use the AC ...again mostly to the windshield.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Derek!

Another question (I just noticed that): Does the vent in the glove compartment blow only cold air? I had the heating on, but the vent was blowing only cold air - not very cold, but much colder than the air from the vents in the cabin.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Just posting as additional confirmation.

Played with the controls just because this thread was at the back of my mind.

No matter where the air distribution knob is turned, some air always comes out the center panels (and the ones facing the same way near the door). The only way to completely shut them off is to use the rollers beside the vent opening.

Also checked the glove box air outlet. No matter how hot or cold the temp was turned, only cool air came out the glove box outlet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks gole! The manual says something that could be interpreted this way, but I wanted to be sure! :)
You welcome... I was also think this winter that I can preserve my warm coffee in glowbox but I get ice-coffee instead.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just posting as additional confirmation.

Played with the controls just because this thread was at the back of my mind.

No matter where the air distribution knob is turned, some air always comes out the center panels (and the ones facing the same way near the door). The only way to completely shut them off is to use the rollers beside the vent opening.

Also checked the glove box air outlet. No matter how hot or cold the temp was turned, only cool air came out the glove box outlet.
Exactly the same here! Apparently it was designed this way, but there is no word for it in the documentation, except a note that the air vent in the glove compartment can be used to cool it in hot days (not a word for heating).

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
^ Yes, it's a little bit odd, isn't it?

I thought they would have connected the glove box air outlet to the center panel ducting, but it seems more like they just connected it near/at the blower motor. I guess you don't really need/want warmth in there, so no big deal. My focus is on knowing how things work, to make sure everything is working ok.

There was a thread where someone had the outlet not working and connected it. Wonder if he/she remembers where it connected to if they see this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^ Its odd. My thoughts were the same, so when I saw that only cold air comes through that vent I thought that something might not be connected properly, but it looks like it was designed that way (to prevent condensation in the glove compartment?).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I did repairing that glove box ventilation because mine didnt blow at all. It is very cheaply made, you just have one black L profile hose which must be inserted in hole on white blower and other side on glove box nozzle. Only that hole on blower is provided for that, you cant make it blow warm air. Just ordinary cold air or climate air from AC...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I find odd with our B200 is the elaborate manipulation of climate controls one has to go through to achieve defogging of the windshield. Is it like this in all MB vehicles? In this regard Honda has my vote...
M

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'm familiar with the Honda's. I don't find M-B any more difficult.

Same amount of knobs/dials/levers, just a different layout. Pick speed of fan, temp., and airflow location. Maybe you can explain?

·
Registered
4 Posts
To defog in B200:
1. Turn on A/C
2. Turn Fan to Max/Defog
3. Turn Temp to Max/Defog
4. Turn Fan mode to Defog

To do the same in Honda:
1. Press Defog button

Then to revert back to previous settings you have to put controls back where they were.
Even in previously owned old Civic (basic cx hatchback) there was 1 button for defog.
I also find airflow not as efficient as in Hondas - B200 still distributes air through multiple registers despite certain setting as noted in previous posts.
Besides - we like our B200 very much, but there are a couple of things like this one that I feel could be better.
M

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Besides - we like our B200 very much, but there are a couple of things like this one that I feel could be better.
M
In all fairness,we should start a posting for all of the ways that the B Class does do it right,... and makes us feel good...:)

In my case there would be a long list of good things ....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To defog in B200:
1. Turn on A/C
2. Turn Fan to Max/Defog
3. Turn Temp to Max/Defog
4. Turn Fan mode to Defog

To do the same in Honda:
1. Press Defog button

Then to revert back to previous settings you have to put controls back where they were.
Even in previously owned old Civic (basic cx hatchback) there was 1 button for defog.
I also find airflow not as efficient as in Hondas - B200 still distributes air through multiple registers despite certain setting as noted in previous posts.
M
You can do exactly the same (press the Defog button) on the B if you have a Thermotronic. With the standard AC I have to do only 1 and 4 in almost all cases (i.e. unless there is really bad fog on the windshield) and the fog disappears within 10 seconds.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I would have ordered THERMOTRONIC had it been available here as a stand-alone option as it is in Europe. Poor M-B Canada, they lost some $$$ there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can do exactly the same (press the Defog button) on the B if you have a Thermotronic. With the standard AC I have to do only 1 and 4 in almost all cases (i.e. unless there is really bad fog on the windshield) and the fog disappears within 10 seconds.
Thanks Biceip.
I'll try 1 and 4 only next time.
Sounds simple enough.
M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts