Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ML350 Bluetec
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have the ventilated seat option? How well to these actually work in hot climates since they're ventilated and not actually air conditioned?

My build is on indefinite hold since there's a shortage of the upgraded leather that is required for the ventilated seats. Is it worth it?

How about other seating options? What are the favorites for comfort and coolness? I have perforated seats (not ventilated) in my E350, and I'm really tired of the sweating back.

·
Registered
2012 C250 Sport
35 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10 they are a 5.5 in terms of functionality. They barely cool your back. You have to arch your back off the seat for a few seconds to let air flow and cool the surface to then experience any significant cooling on your back. They are a convenience on long road trips and keep you cooler and more comfortable than you would be otherwise sitting for an extended period.

The ventilated seats in the 2011-2012 Cayenne are a 10 on a scale of 1-10. In those you feel like you're floating on a cushion of a/c. Wish these compared, but they dont.

The leather smells great though and the quality of the stitching and contrasting piping really give the interior a premium treatment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy Note using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2013 ML350 Bluetec
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MoeCity. Maybe I should just opt for the sport interior? Anyone have input on that versus the MBtex or ventilated seats?

·
Registered
Aegean Blue 2005 SL500, Steel Grey 2012 ML450
107 Posts
The current mb text is VERY hot and are not perforated, whereas the 2013's are going to be perforated which should help dissipate some heat/moisture (or else why would they make the change?).

I would highly recommend the ventilated seats option.

In Georgia, our '12 ML is mb text and the wifey is forcing me to order her a new 2013 only because she "needs" ventilated seats.

My '13 SL has the ventilated seats and is a must for me, especially after the gym.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
MB Tex is cooler than smooth cowhide in the sun every day of the week.

If you have a "sun" problem - the my suggestion of a effective solution is to get your windows incl windshield tinted with the new clear tint from Llumar or 3M Crystaline which cuts another 70% UV/infrared out of the incoming light. There are a couple of other brand clear films on the market now too. Yep, that's right, works great on the windshield too. That tint job would be like my wholesale cost $300 to retail $400 - the newer material is pricey.

The W166 glass is great for sound absorbtion but not that great on heat blocking - that my friend is the core of hot seat problem, not MB Tex.

I wouldn't wear a leather jacket if I was sweaty either...

·
Registered
2013 ML350 Bluetec
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much the sun as it is vinyl seat sweat. I have tint in my E350 (as dark as TX allows) with perforated leather (or MBtex, not sure) seats, and it still bothers me, so I thought I'd try the ventilated option this time.

Does the windshield tint not interfere with rain sensing or light sensing? Would it interfere with electronic toll tags?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Feel free to go with ventilated - it's not that pricery - but leather interiors for the ML will be a challenge since pre-orders for the $90K+ GL550's is going so strong and a$90K build gets priority leather over a $60K build.

The windsheild tint can be cut to allow toll pass - and the new clear tint is designed to maxmize heat/UV/IR bloc.

When you first get the truck back fro the installer it will look shitty - this new clear takes a lot of water/solution to mount - but in a week you will be impressed as that water/fluid dries up thru the material. Keep sunroof cracked to aid this dehydration of the film.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts