Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a schematic of the vent window latch assembly for a 406?
I got the repair kit and some new glass for my vent windows. The top pin was broken on one so I was able to silver braze it back - here’s a picture. Over the course of a few weeks of interruptions and repairing and painting the frames, I can’t remember which side the little gasket goes on.
Also, any tips on what kind of adhesive to use to fasten the glass to the frame? I found this stuff called “strip caulk.” It’s gummy adhesive for automotive repair.
A7668BE6-51C8-4F08-AA25-767F0D02262D.jpeg

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
As far as what goop to use to seal the glass into the frame and/or gasket, I'd go to the best rated glass shop with the pieces in hand and ask the question.

Over time, new products have been developed, and some vehicles use a 'Dry Mount', where it is just a pressure fit between the glass, the gasket and the frame, and some use a 'Wet Mount', where a bead of goop is put into the channel of the frame or the gasket before assembly.

Since your UNIMOG used a Wet Mount, I'd check with a pro to see what the latest and greatest stuff is. I'd bet there is new stuff that is superior to whatever was used originally.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if this is any help?
Thanks. The schematic shows a wrench near item 58 (window latch). I'm just guessing that is the repair kit, of which I bought two (one each for right and left sides). Is there any assembly info for the kit?
For reference, one of the kits is A 347 586 00 67 (not sure if that's left or right)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What I’m trying to ascertain is which side of the glass does the flat “D” shaped rubber gasket go? Only one is included in the kit.

EDIT - looks like it goes on the inside.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice on adhesive. I assembled one with the 3m “strip caulk” because I had it and it looked promising. I don’t know of any auto glass experts here, so tracking one down may take some effort but would be the next option.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
The Strip Caulk might work out fine, but it is made and marketed for non-glass seam sealing in automotive applications.

Basically, it is a solt Butyl rubber that adheres to most any clean surface, and it made to fill
"seams, joints, and gaps". Another sentence specifies that it is " for filling non-visible automotive joints, seams, voids and gaps.This thumb-grade seam sealer arrives ready to install without mixing, spraying or tools. It thumbs in quickly and smooths with a fingertip. .....Etc."

It is the modern version of what they used to call Dum-Dum, which did the same thing : Seal up edges and gaps where two sheetmetal panels butted up or overlapped, before or after painting.

For glass installation 3M has a few products but for side glass, they indicate that "3M 08609 Windo-Weld Super fast Urethane" is the stuff. It comes in a caulk tube for $23 via Amazon.

If the strip caulk works out, then great.

I'm just adding the 3M glass Urethane in case you need to go to that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I was too hasty to get this reassembled. I’ll look into the alternate material - thanks for your insight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts