Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Vent Directional Controls Broken

1186 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Peter Guenther
The directional controls to both Center Console air vents have broken off - where can I get replacements? Can I fix myself?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Center Vents

If you are talking about the little bar that moves the vents up down and sideways, the entire assembly has to be replaced. We aretalking about the center dash vent I assume. You can do it if you are handy, I replaced the passenger side it takes time patience and a little study. I suggest you shop, they are a little pricey. I have no info on the rear seat vent, but it looks like it can be replaced

· Registered
'92 500sel
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Center Vent Controls

You're right - it's the small bar/button to move the vents, and in the center vents - both Left & Right side.

Approx. how much per assembly to buy? You got 'em from the dealer or an aftermarket place? I guess you start by removing the vent slat assembly - how is this done? Retainer clips that pop out or screws from the back?

Thanks for the reply.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
Vent Tabs

As I recall the passenger side was in the $70 range after shopping around, I had no luck with auto recyclers and you wont find them anywhere else. The center piece is probably double that, you also have to consider the leds, and push buttons in the face. If you decide I would get the replacement to see where the screws that hold it are, it does not look that easy. My parts book shows two screws that come up from the bottom on either side, which might require the removal of the temp dials. If you have a friendly dealer he might let you look at the explosion in their computer, before you order.
Since then, my wife handles those buttons gently, rather than slapping them around.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
vents

This is from another post, see last paragraph, I hope this helps you look in if you have to
There are two phillips screws holding the top box in place. You can easily undo them when the box is open. Then the unit can be lifted out from the drivers side first. There is an audioable click as the lock mechanism detaches from the release catch.
The centre vents are held in place by plastic catches which can be prised open with a long thin flat tipped screwdriver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.