Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190e
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well recently I've come to the conclusion that the driver's side quarter panel has been 'repaired' or something along those lines...the paint is basically perfect compared to the rest of the car, the pinstriping is flawless again compared to the rest of the car, and when I went to carfax.com I put in my VIN and it said there were 14 records, but carfax charges like $20 or so, as for my question....does anyone know of any websites where you can find your vehicle's "history" for free?

Thanks

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Carfax is notably unreliable for pre-95 vehicles. I know of several cars of the W201 vintage that have had major repairs that did not show up on Carfax.

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
I brought a 1992 190E 2.6 in 1994, shortly after my purchase, someone on the R170 forum posted a post that CARFAX had a limited time free offer, so I logged in and got a free report for the 190E. In short I was very impress with what I saw. The report was 8 pages long, it included:
1. Accident check
2. Mileage accuracy check - basically check is made from DMV records, In my case from California and Oregon.
3. Lemon check
4. Owership check - I was told by the previous owner he brought the car from the
original owner, I can tell that was true and the dates when the owners brought the car.
5. Recall check
6. Warranty check - no data reported to CarFax
7. Detailed vehicle history - This included dates and mileage when the car passed emissions from both California and Oregon. Also it listed the service the car had from the service facilities with dates and mileage and what was done, like 06/12/2002 at 105,708 miles cooling system checked and radiator replaced. And etc. Now the second owner gave me the service records for the car and I checked them against the CarFax report and everthing adds up. The second owner had his service done at a independent MB facilty so it may depend on if the service facility reports to CarFax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts