Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 88K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just wrapping up my first 210 Valve cover/breather cover/spark plug job (waiting on replacement breather cover screws as recommended in Sticky). Must thank Yacht Master, Kobus and Banzai for the DIYs.

However, in Banzai's DIY he made a comment about cleaning up the "engine varnish" at a later date? Didn't know what he was referring to. Was it the golden color of his valve train? I noticed that my was a similar color, but Yachtmaster's was not.

Did a search for varnish and found nothing speaking to this issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks to the DIYs - I would not have tackled the job without it - brakes and rotors next!

P.S. MB sealant now down to $20 a tube at dealer in Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
2000 E320 88K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Picked up the breather screws from the dealer today, and based upon the sticky ran the screws into the cover and discovered old gasket material in all of the holes. This after a (so I thought) very heavy cleaning of the covers. Got them cleaned out and applied the MB sealant - I found it to be a little tough on the hands pushing and guiding - took a good half hour for both breather covers. Let the selant cure 24 hours and drove the car today. No leaks!

Second issue: Kind of surprised not to get one response on the question concerning engine varnish. Am I posting incorrectly?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts