Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

valve stem seals replacememt ???

2104 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  BenZ190D
Hi All! I guess my car is ' Over the hill' with 125k miles and start using one quart of oil for every 500 miles.At Independent MBZ shop suggest have valve seals replacement.The Mech pull out the plugs and said number #3 and # 5 plugs been fouled with oil .Here is questions:1) Is anybody did replace a valve stem seals before ?2) I saw on Performance Products catalogs show the tool call Valve Spring Compressor that you can use to replace the seal without remove cyinder head ? 3)Is any tool need to hold the valve when you remove the seals? Any suggestion are appreciated .Thanks !
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a note - If you haven't had the head gasket replaced yet, you will need to soon. (Mine was leaking at 98K miles). The shop replaced my valve guides when they did the<br> gasket replacement. Not cheap, though.

· Registered
2 Posts
Compressed air (by way of a fitting that is screwed into the spark plug hole) is used to hold the valve in place while the spring is removed. So you need a compressor and either those expensive M-B tools or some equivalent. I'm looking for a cheap substitute for the factory tools. Anyone with an idea?

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Compressed air is the recommended option.

However if you wind the piston to the top in the cylinder you are working on the piston will hold the valve for you.

I prefer this option, be cause if for any reason you loose your air pressure the toher method, the valve will drop right into the cylinder.

With the piston at the top, give the spring a tep with a hammer to break the seal then it will be alot easier to push it down with the tool.

· Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
160 Posts
a common practice for DIYers is to insert a rope into the spark plug opening when the biston is at TDP to prevent it from falling. I once drafted a procedure for such a job on my last Jetta. will find and post it here tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.