Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month I'll be changing the valve stem seals, I have all the information needed for the job. In reading FSM it states replace M8x70 bolts with M8x73 10.9 bolts when doing repairs. Is this necessary or can I use the old bolts from bearing caps. Also would it be advantageous to replace the following with new parts or just use old parts
ball sockets #53
collets #54
upper & lower spring retainers #55&57

I figure they are inexpensive or is it just not necessary. And finally it states ball sockets must be re-installed at the same point, does this mean exactly same position before removal are there markings? Or is it same position on # Cylinder so you don't mixed them up? Exhaust/intake. Sorry for all the questions:confused: but I just want to be absolutely sure before I take on this repair, perhaps there will be more. I know I can do this just a little gun shy, hence the answers from the masters I requested.
Thank you in advance.:bowdown:

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
I believe the early ones can have stripped threads. At your mileage, its probably a safe choice.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the early ones can have stripped threads. At your mileage, its probably a safe choice.
Thanks, whats you suggestion on the other parts?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked around for prices on the bolts, pretty expensive for bolts and X 24, Mama Mia. Does anyone have the exact specifications on those bolts, thread count most important info needed, thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts