Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 4matic wagon w/78k is at the dealer for a failed ACC blower motor -- they called me late on Friday with an update -- mentioned that the valve covers were leaking. I can't remember what needs to come off to change the gaskets -- car has the original plugs and was wondering if they have most of the stuff off to replace them?? I'm not having any problems -- but if I can get them done with this service I will not have to think about it again. I believe the plug service is normally about $600.00.

The car is under MB warranty -- also getting the instrument cluster -- flex disc and a few other item changed. They also said it needed both blower motor and the controller?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My valve covers are leaking too. This was discovered during a "free safety inspection". The quote I have is $540.00 ($90 parts, $450 labor). Your MB warranty should cover that.

FWIW: I also have a quote for changing the plugs for $454.85 ($120 parts, $334.85 labor).

I don't know if having the plugs changed at the same time will save you on the labor but logically it should.

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
I just changed the plugs in my 2002 E320 (95k miles). About $48 for the plugs and 2 hours of my time. The local MB service place that I take my car quoted me about $600 for the same job. I asked if they were crazy. The service man said that they have to remove the coils. Big deal. They remove 6 screws while they put one screw in you.
Oh, I did buy a set of wrenches at Lowes for about $10 so I could make my own spark plug removal tool.
The car runs noticeable better with the new plugs.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
So the stealers stretch the $150/hr chargers even farther. What else is new?
My non-technical son replaced plugs on ML320 in 1 hr, 10 minutes. Same engine, only slightly better access on the truck.
From the description above looks like the mechanics want to milk the warranty and the owner as well.
Some people say "let them do it even if the replacement is questionable, because the warranty pays for that"
But they overlook that sooner or later somebody has to pay for the warranty. Have you ever wonder why extended warranty on very reliable cars cost big thousands dollars?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Nothing new about expensive dealer charges, I just happened to have written quotes and was sharing the information. The $334.85 spark plug job is for 3.5 hours so they charge about $100/hour. Still too much of course because if your son can do the same job in barely over 1 hour, the experienced tech would take less. Not to mention they charge $10/plug which can be had for about $3.00.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The parts they are replacing are all for valid complaints that I noted (except the valve covers) when I dropped the car off. I was planning to take it in next month but the loss of the blower fan required it to go in the same day -- read heat!!.

Viewing the plug "sticky" -- it certainly looks like the plugs will be exposed in order to replace the cover gaskets. Maybe I can get them to do it for the parts and the additional time to swap them out.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
...Viewing the plug "sticky" -- it certainly looks like the plugs will be exposed in order to replace the cover gaskets. Maybe I can get them to do it for the parts and the additional time to swap them out.
Worth a shot! They will be making some profit on the plugs and I wouldn't argue with charging for the "true time" for the plugs labor. Not this crap of 3.5 hours (probably MB book shop time) that they quoted me.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
I am afraid it is not how they work.
Have you ever figured out why mechanics always push rotors replacement with brake job?
The car is up, the wheels are off, the calipers are already taken apart, all it takes to get the rotor out is taking couple of additional bolts off.
Yet the mechanics milk to for big hundreds dollars.
Still worth the shot.

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Three and a half hours and 300-600 bucks for plug change? Damn...

I did the plugs on my E420 on Friday and even though I took my time and had to wait for the UPS driver to show up to bring the one coil I needed to replace, I wasn't able to spend much more than an hour from start to finish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going from memory with the $600.00 dollar cost of the plug replacement from the dealer - I believe the dealer plug cost is around $11 retail for each of the twelve.

The warranty is covering all the other services including the valve covers.

I was particularly lucky to find a 02 wagon that still had almost one year left of a factory extended warranty. Last service included new lower control arms and rear leveling shocks.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Don't want to discourage you from fixing the actual problems and using the warranty, but I have seen it too many times, that mechanics charge the warranty for jobs they never performed (it is easy to wash the valve cover with brake cleaner) but the other story is, that on aging cars mechanics break something under the hood and mask it so the owner will not notice. Meaning lot of cars start having more and more technical problems AFTER mechanics start working on them.
I will not even mention the story when I took my Ford truck for small electrical recall and without my knowledge the dealer performed "free inspection" while dropping filter clamp inside turbo passage. Since I didn't notice that for couple of days all they did for my complain was to lower their bid for turbo replacement to $1800.
So I have one rule lately. Even if I have to take my vehicle to mechanic, it never leaves my site.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
MM, you could fly me out there for less than the dealer charges for the plugs. And we'd have more fun anyway. :)

OP: it never hurts to ask. If the price is right, have them do it. It all depends on how busy they are and how much profit they already have on the warranty work. Last I checked the "suggested list" on the plugs was $17.95 each (Bosch double platinum, about $4.50 at autohausaz.com) so you know that's going to already be some kick in the pants.

Ggod luck with it.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
MM, you could fly me out there for less than the dealer charges for the plugs. And we'd have more fun anyway. :)...
Ha Greg!

I would hope that the $450 would buy your round trip airfare, 12 Bosch plugs from AutoHaus plus a nice steak dinner for 2 when we're finished! Truth be told, I was saving you for the 100,000 oxygen sensor swap and the plugs. Living with the plugs for now (ignoring the years and waiting for 100K) since the car is running fine. I'm talking about 15,000 miles from now. :)

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Mechanics at most dealerships are paid by the "job" the good ones usually rack up 40 hrs in less than 5 days they can make extra money that way, and the dealership will also profit. The pricing is usually done by dispatch with a rate manual. I doubt that since they are working in the area they will give you a break, especially when warranty work is not re-embursed at the normal job rate. Working with and 'indy" the logic would work most times. I have a good friend who had the harmonic balacer fail on his 210, and was charged $400, when the letter came out about a recall he went back to the dealership and finally was given $250 and told "warrany" only paid that much for the job.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Don't you have long drive to your girlfriend? Start seeing her more often and it won't take long. That would make everybody happy :D
Yes I do, it is 400 miles round trip but the job I am working now in retail store does not allow for many weekends off. Plus with the holidays upon us I will have even a harder time to drive there. The last time I drove MB there some ahole opened door into my car and left pinhole in the paint!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts