Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo, 126xxx miles
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a fool-proof method of reinstalling the valve cover (and gasket)? I'm having a heck of a time trying to call my valve job "done" since I cannot seem to be able to get the cover back on; the cover seems to constantly not seat right, keeps getting stuck on the injection lines, and the gasket keeps coming off.

I got a tip that calls for removing the injector lines, but before I go that route I figured I'd see if anyone has any other useful tips.

Also found another tip on the other board; has anyone tried this method successfully?

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
What I do is point the driver's side of the cover down in order to wedge it in between the injector lines where it tends to get stuck.

Do you still have the throttle linkage bolted onto the cover? If so, remove it and try to put the cover on. I find that the linkage gets in the way and it's much easier to reinstall the cover with it taken off. It also helps to have another set of hands to hold back the return lines and the little capped line at the very back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
It is a pain, but if done right it just drops in. Matt is right, that the linkages should be folded out of the way. I can't recall exactly, But I think I also tilt it toward the driver side but also have the front higher than the back as I feed the driver side corner in first. But I am guessing a bit - I just do it :)

One thing I do, is put a very thin layer of Permatex gasket maker on the edge of the cover, then put the gasket on and seat it on a flat surface (I use my table saw! That way, it doesn't fall off every time you just think you have the cover back on.

Absolutely no need to remove injector lines!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I do, is put a very thin layer of Permatex gasket maker on the edge of the cover, then put the gasket on and seat it on a flat surface (I use my table saw! That way, it doesn't fall off every time you just think you have the cover back on.
That seems to be the most common method I've come across. Would RTV do the trick (just got some for another project)?

Do you still have the throttle linkage bolted onto the cover? If so, remove it and try to put the cover on. I find that the linkage gets in the way and it's much easier to reinstall the cover with it taken off.
I actually have a large portion of the linkage disconnected from the valve cover, so that hasn't actually been a problem so far.

I'll try again tomorrow, I think for now I should just rest my back, it's been torture leaning over the fender all day.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Good advice, make sure the Bowden cable is not bolted to the cam cover also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice, make sure the Bowden cable is not bolted to the cam cover also.
Yep, took me a while to figure out how to detach that, no longer connected. I'm going to give it another shot today and see how it goes. I'm anxious to fire up the motor to see if there is any improvement (especially cold starting).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Finally got the cover back on! I think the combination of better lighting and less fatigue did the trick; I made another attempt to just seat the gasket on the cover and slowly/carefully lower the cover back on, and it seemed to work out just fine. Torqued the bolts down roughly 9 ft-lb and buttoned up the linkage.

Once I got the car off the jack stands, I started it up ON THE FIRST TRY!!! I simply cannot believe how smooth this thing runs, and NO MORE SMOKE!!

Many thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips; it is a really great feeling having accomplished this, as this is my first "real" job on this car. It took significantly longer than it could have, but next time I think it should be a lot faster now that I've gone through the steps first-hand.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, the sense of accomplishment is overwhelming. I know most of the folks on this board are used to the feeling by now, but I definitely have a lot more confidence for my next job, R&R on my rear axles!

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
...and at the same time produces such horrible lower back pain getting it on right! I'm not looking forward to my next valve adjustment for this reason!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and at the same time produces such horrible lower back pain getting it on right! I'm not looking forward to my next valve adjustment for this reason!
Yes, my back is still recovering from this job, but I think its a small price to pay for a smooth running motor!

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts

Yes, my back is still recovering from this job, but I think its a small price to pay for a smooth running motor!
Here's a tip for that...drive up on ramps. Easier on the back and easier to turn the crank from underneath. It's what I do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a tip for that...drive up on ramps. Easier on the back and easier to turn the crank from underneath. It's what I do.
I actually accounted for that ahead of time from some other posts on this topic, and I had the vehicle on jackstands. Back still got jacked up, oh well.

I'm better today; nothing is better for your back than a few days away from wrenching!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts