Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 2 different parts to my valve cover. The Valve Cover its self and another small cover on the top. How do i remove the small cover on the valve cover???? I removed both screws but it seems like its welded on there?? Any feed back? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thats the breather cover. Its on there with sealant so will take some careful prying to remove. There is a specific sealant for that joint. Dont use a silicone based sealer. The right stuff is about $20 from the dealer and will be enough to do both covers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attached a picture of our coil packs. This is a picture of the bottom. I see some exposed metal. Is this exposed metal a ground for the coil packs?

I am getting my valve cover powder coated silver with a clear coat. If this is a ground for the coil packs, will getting my valve cover powder coated affect this ground point, and have negative affects on the spark???

Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very helpful. I though only 2 screw were holding it on.

Do you know anything about the contact points? On the picture I showed you the coil pack, is that exposed metal a ground for the coil pack or like a back up ground??

Anyone??

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know, but, I recall that when I changed my plugs some while ago, that I had the same thought about your grounding question Re. the bare spot on the coils. Will be curious to see if anyone responds.

Just a tip, but powdercoating, heads, valve covers, cylinders, etc. on a bike can make it run hotter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. If that's the case for a bike then I would imagine it holds true for cars. Once I put them on I'll let you know man. We'll see if anyone replies about the cool packs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Let me back off of that a bit.
Bikes I'm talking about are air cooled.
I don't think it would make a bit of difference on you car.
False alarm

·
Registered
528 Posts
Let me back off of that a bit.
Bikes I'm talking about are air cooled.
I don't think it would make a bit of difference on you car.
False alarm
The cooling system should have room for the extra heat as most systems are designed for more cooling than is generally needed as a precaution. Since this is an aluminum block with aluminum heads it's good to know someone pointed it out, rather see a false alarm than warped mating surfaces :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I removed both screws but it seems like its welded on there?? Any feed back? thanks guys!!

Here's the info from Startek for the 112, 113 engine.

It's a tight fit because the smaller covers on top have a flange around their bottom edge that fits tightly into a groove on the top of the valve covers. Fill the groove with sealant.

Also, there's a very small "pilot" hole in each cover (at hose attachment) and down in the valve cover. Be sure to make sure these tiny holes are cleana and un-obstructed.

If I'm stating the obvious, my apologies!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts