Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anybody know the original colour for the valve cover on a 1990 M104 24 valve engine... from a 300CE-24V.

My valve cover is currently gold paint (flaking and peeling off) but the original would have been silver.

This is what I got from Mercedes-Benz Australia:

"there is no paint code available however the colour would have been a bright light silver"

Anyone have something more accurate or perhaps a good photo of one as-new?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine is sort of yellow/gold looking. Its is starting to peel off. When ever I have the valve cover off, I will clean the whole ting super clean, then strip off the paint and clear coat down to metal.

Then I will polish out the aluminum to a beautiful shine.

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
The valve cover on my 300CE (M104) was also peeling and cracking and and had the yellow/gold color. The yellow/gold color was due to the cosmoline (sprayed on wax type material) used to protect from moisture etc. applied at the factory not being removed before the engine was ever heated up.

I removed my cover, had it sand blasted and repainted. I to had thoughts of polishing it out, but the metal used for the cover doesn't appear to lend itself to that. I am really not sure that it is aluminum. I saved a "clean" piece of the original paint that was peeling off and had it color matched as close as possible. The results are attached. Not quite the same as the original, but much better than it was.

Good Luck

Jayare

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
For future Googlers: the M104 valve cover is made of magnesium, which is why it's painted. The justification I have heard for that engineering decision is that magnesium is easier to cast than aluminum.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
It is easier to cast and machine than aluminum. For those of us that collect chainsaws, it was the case material of choice for all the Swede/German saws. Everybody has their own witches brew for repainting them, but nothing really holds up well with daily use. For the collector, that's good enough, for users like me, it's not. Some guys are even clear coating the finishes...blah.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts