Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When replacing the valve cover gasket on a 05 c230k (m271 engine). Do you need to put Rtv sealant once the gasket is fitted. Or just the gasket itself will do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
When replacing the valve cover gasket on a 05 c230k (m271 engine). Do you need to put Rtv sealant once the gasket is fitted. Or just the gasket itself will do?
You should never have to use RTV on any mating surfaces unless you coming in contact with a large porous area. RTV is really a messy solution for someone who is not confident in what their doing. Of course, if you don't have a gasket or if one is not made for the application, then you have no choice but to use RTV. You'll be fine going on without the stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should never have to use RTV on any mating surfaces unless you coming in contact with a large porous area. RTV is really a messy solution for someone who is not confident in what their doing. Of course, if you don't have a gasket or if one is not made for the application, then you have no choice but to use RTV. You'll be fine going on without the stuff.
I keep seeing mixed reviews online for this model in using the genuine Mercedes( white gasket) maker after installing the black rubber gasket(for the valve cover) on youtube someone mentioned to use the MB sealer only around the half moon areas.. Is this true or should I just throw it on bone dry as it came.

·
Registered
2005 C230K
50 Posts
So just dry with out any sealant? Not even around the corners with MB genuine sealant? Just want to double check. Thank you
I forget. The MB documents say when and where to use the gasket sealer.
Fwiw, I suggest using only the genuine MB sealer that the document says to use.
The "thickness/etc" of the sealers vary a lot! An M271 uses tighter tolerances than older engines, or things like differential covers.
For my Fox-body 80's-90's Mustang, I love and swear by Permatex sealers. Nothing else gets within 50 feet of my Mustang!!

But, my C230 is not a Mustang.
Really, I did double check!
:) :)

So, what makes sense for my Mustang, or other engines/cars, may not make any sense for my C230.
:)

Fwiw, I tend to strongly advise more towards the manufacture and ASE recommendations.
One of my engineering degrees is in mechanical engineering. I've been an "R&D" engineer for ~million years (feels like it sometimes :)). So, I understand why specs are like they are, and why "all sealers are not the same".

At the same time, I realize that depending on the very specific example, there may be a better way to do things than the factory way. The factory cares about time, cost, and constancy.
Hence, why on a number of differential covers, you'll see people use a gasket and a sealer, instead of just doing a factory silicon seal(which, at the factory, is often dispensed by precise robots, and installed with guided/zero-weight support arm).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: Ended up changing the Valve cover gasket and not shocked at the end result at all... Had a leak.

I used the "Mahl" brand from rock auto, and purchased the oem mercedes black sealant as there have been some back and forth on if its truly needed or not in other forums.

Oil started to seep from the sides of the valve cover about a day after running the car.

One thing that the instructions from the file downloaded doea not specify is of how the sealant should be placed or how much thickness/surfave area to cover

I called a few indie dealers and they all stated they use a thin amount of sealant on the metal/aluminum where the valve cover sits.

Having to redo the job again..I purchased the official genuine mercedes gasket and spark plug seals.. so my question again from anyone who has successfully changed the valve cover gasket...would you just put the valve cover(with the rubber gasket on dry) and call it a day? Or would reapllying the sealant cause more issues as I am currently expiriencing?

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,798 Posts
My info does not mention a need for gasket sealer rtv..
Clean the bolt threads ,,, and the holes with a tap..
Ensure all mating surfaces are clean , undamaged and free of oil..
Torque bolts gradually to 10 Nm. , starting from the middle / centre and working out to the sides last.
That said , I use a very small ,,like 2mm bead of sealant between the valve cover and the gasket , but that is optional.
Using a genuine MB gasket will definitely help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts