Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, 1989 Porsche 928-S4, 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a few weeks ago a leaks after replacing the valve cover gaskets. From that, most of my leaks were because the silly gasket (definately because Stupid Me failed to notice) slipped off between putting them on, and placing the VC. :mad:

Anyway, I've still got a small leak somewhere, noticable only after driving for a while and smelling burning oil - nothing on the ground, or dripping, etc.

Someone in that prior posting mentioned not over torquing the VC bolts. Does anyone know what Torgue to use? I can't find any reference to that, and don't have (yet) a good service manual.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, 1989 Porsche 928-S4, 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screwdriver? Why not a torque wrench?

Thanks for the #. Hopefully this will stop the mystery leak.

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,342 Posts
torque wrench

For very low torque values such as 3Nm, you need a 1/4" drive torque wrench so the desired torque lies somewhere near the center of the range for best calibration. A beam-type torque wrench is best for this application. Three Nm is barely more than hand tight.

I have a gasser (M117 engine). I don't know about your smoker but my VC has only 4 nuts holding it on and my spec is also 3Nm.. Balanced torque is as important as the correct value to ensure a leak free experience.

·
Registered
Mercedes W140 500SE, W126 560SEL & W460 300GD
38 Posts
Screwdriver? Why not a torque wrench?

Thanks for the #. Hopefully this will stop the mystery leak.
I recommended use a screwdriver, but only if you dont have a torque wrench. Normally I use a torque wrench in almost everything I do in my car. And for me was very difficult to find a torque wrench with such adjustments as low, normally is used on bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts