Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midst of doing my first valve adjustment.

My valve cover is off and I'm ready to go, but I can't turn the engine. I am using the technique outlined on dieselgiant in which I put a 22mm wrench on the power steering pump bolt. I can turn the bolt but this does not cause the engine to turn.

Perhaps the belt is too loose, although it doesn't seem to be.

What do you all think? I'm kinda a newbie, so the more specific the advice is, the better...

Thanks, BtD

Mercedes Diesel Valve Adjustment Procedure

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Put a 27mm socket with a small extension on the crankshaft bolt.

Don't forget to take it off before starting the engine.

Or tighten the power-steering belt.

The transmission must be in N.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOOO HOOO!!!!

Govert, I can't thank you enough.

Your tips- plus pulling on the belt just a bit while turning the power steering bolt- has me off and running!

You- and this site- are awesome!

Merry Christmas... BtD

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Try to avoid using the power steering bolt. Over time it could lead to a leaking power steering pump.

Use the crankshaft bolt, or use a bump starter. Do a search on the bump starter. Cheap enough.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
The car is running much better, but now the car won't shut off. I think I disturbed something.

Any ideas on what to specifically look for?

I do notice that I have broken a vacuum line (or what I believe to be one). From the big cylinder on the firewall on the driver's side (the master cylinder is attached to this cylinder- and it has a sticker on it that says Girling) there is a large vacuum hose. An inch or two beyond a white reducer, there is another flange in which the hose has broken off within the flange. I'm hoping I can remove the hose from the flange and reinsert the hose into it.
Could this be it- or do you think it's something else?

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to RMac, you can see a photo below.

My broken vac line is the one at the bottom of this photo. It comes out of the white plastic thing at the bottom of the photo. The broken one is the one on the left. It is broken off right at the flange. I'm hoping I can easy out the hose from the flange and stick the hose back in.
Will I be able to do this or do I need to replace more than that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts