Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL 60 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 1998 SL 500 in 1997 and had it modified at the AMG shop in Affalterbach (before that company officially merged with MB) included engine tweeking, suspension and lots of cosmetic items. The vehicle came in to the dealership and no one really new what it was (debadged but had SL 60 AMG badges in the trunk, large AMG wheels, lowered chassis with twin exaust pipes coming out the rear). The car has really never been driven outside of some short trips. I put the car in a warehouse a number of years ago. The car has been fully maintained over the years howvever. The OD shows about 4,000 miles. I have been told that I should just hang on to it - that it is worth more to me than to anyone else which I interpret as it has no real value right now. I paid about $115k and have all the paperwork including the AMG shop and invoices. I suppose I could just keep it and try and enjoy it and perhaps this animal might be worth something someday. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Put an ad out and see what bites. Drive it till the right offer comes along.

·
Registered
SL60 ///AMG
110 Posts
TQP! Do you have the WIN number of the car?
/HÃ¥kan

·
Registered
SL 60 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the the VIN # reflects a US bound SL 500. The VIN number relects that the car was optioned out but I don't believe the AMG stuff is anywhere on the record. It should. AMG should have this car on file. My contact there was a person by the name of Kalifa. As I said before I have all the paperwork from AMG. I tried calling Kalifa to see if he could research and add the AMG info to the MB file on this car since the two companies are one now but Kalifa seems to have moved on. I have never taken any pictures of the vehicle. It is currently burried in the warehouse.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
I am no expert, but here are my thoughts...

30 years from now the car will be worth as much as you paid for it...except-possibly- a reduction because of the "non-stock" components.

Ultimately, it is worth what someone will pay.

Objectively:

Kelley gives a retail value of $39k. Plus the AMG stuff.

As I said before, I am no expert.

Your car is worth $115k until you sell it. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
SL 60 AMG
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is essentially stock. Every part with the exception of the K40 radar has a MB part number number attached to it. The warranty (extended) even covers the engine which if it blew up MB would have to replace it with a bored out 6 litre like the one that is in there. I am not a big aftermarket person ever since my experience with Dinan and my BMW. Stock is the way to go. Anyway thanks for everyone's input. I will hang on to it and perhaps it will compliment the 911S Cab (997) that I just ordered. FYI - I bought a mini cooper S last year and it is a really fun car. I can also park it anywhere and not really care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts