Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I was wondering what you guys, the MBZ enthusiasts would value my car at.
If I was to sell it, what would you pay to purchase it? The car is not for sale as of yet (everything is for sale at the right price).
I love this car, I can not believe how smooth it is and I would drive it cross country without hesitation. Since I have done all the work and maintenance it has had no issues. 0.

A bit about the car.
1991 300CE.
No accidents. The bumpers on it were OEM and had the vin tags as well as the fenders, trunk lid, hood etc.
Passenger side fender was replaced due to small bend due to previous owner hitting something. It was very fixable, but I decided to find a OEM used one in perfect condition.

Face lifted to 94-95 look with original OEM hood bought from local dealer. I could not find a used one in the time frame I was hopping for.

Depo headlights (94-95)
Removal of headlight washers and wipers.

AMG body kit by Duraflex. I also have a ducktail painted not installed.
I have not made up my mind yet on the ducktail.

New Eibach Springs and Bilstein HDs.
New front steering damper, bushing and other misc. parts due to wear.

Rear has had no replacements due it being solid.

New paint job about a year ago, still like new with minor wear.

Interior looks great besides a tear on the dr. seat bottom cushion. I am thinking of having this fixed. If I find some time....

Carbon interior is easy to remove and all wood is in fairly nice shape, besides shifter surround wood which will need to be replaced.

Blaupunkt stereo (nothing special, but works great and has 3.5mm audio cable).
Removal of center fader.
New speakers (Pioneer).

Transmission is excellent.

NO LEAKS. NONE!!!

No clunks, or noises from the driveline.

Maintenance:

New fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel accumulator.
New Brake rotors and pads.
New distributor, cap, rotor, plugs.
8k miles ago new trans. filter and oil (converter as well)
3k mile oil changes
New water pump, new T-stat, belt, tensioner.
New front windshield due to crack
New Rear windshield due to delamination and my mistake on trying to remove the metal frames. It broke. Very expensive!!!
New rear windshield frames.
Rear axle oil changed about 8k miles ago.
All fluids changed and only MBZ spec fluids used.

Sunroof works great.
AC and heat work good. Vent is always on though when either is on.
AC was retroed to R134 and blows around 40 degrees from the vents.

Shifter was updated to later model.

Once in a while, it will need 2 turns of the key to start. Usually when hot outside. It will start right up on the second key turn and runs like a top.
I have not found out why it does this, as everything has been changed. But it does not affect how the car runs at all.
This is my daily driver and has about 165k miles today. You guys know that a well cared for W124 can go way more that, and my car certainly can with regular maintenance as all of it has been recently done.

I can not think of anything else at this time, but I will update and add of anything else comes to mind.
If you guys have any questions, shoot.

Here are some pictures from when I was done, and it looks the same today.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
The market varies by location but up here in the pacific northwest I'd say $4-$6k, maybe less if you're looking for a quick sale, still a great looking car by the way

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for guys. I was thinking around the ball park you posted.
I might try ebay for laughs. I know this is a particular taste car, but I achieved the exact look I was hoping for, so the time for something else is getting close.
If I had not restored and driven a well sorted C124, I would have never believed how well and solid these cars are. Unbelievable engineering and not something they built this day.
Having said that, I was thinking I should sell this and buy an E550 coupe. We shall see when the time comes. I get an itch every couple of years for a new ride. I am feeling the itch coming along and I can not part with my other rides.
If any one else has any thoughts on value or the universe or life etc., feel free to post.

Black/Black of course.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,393 Posts
You do realize the current E class coupe is actually riding on a W204 C class chassis.

In other words, it's a Milli Vanilli E class coupe. It looks a lot better than the last CLK coupe, but IMO it's not a real E class.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Thanks for guys. I was thinking around the ball park you posted.
I might try ebay for laughs. I know this is a particular taste car, but I achieved the exact look I was hoping for, so the time for something else is getting close.
If I had not restored and driven a well sorted C124, I would have never believed how well and solid these cars are. Unbelievable engineering and not something they built this day.
Having said that, I was thinking I should sell this and buy an E550 coupe. We shall see when the time comes. I get an itch every couple of years for a new ride. I am feeling the itch coming along and I can not part with my other rides.
If any one else has any thoughts on value or the universe or life etc., feel free to post.

Black/Black of course.

Nice man, would be fun! just newer,hopefully less work than 20 year old cars

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
Nice to have option to play with car change.
My broker bought a house in Bay Area back in 1960's and bought new Mercedes at the time.
His mortgage and car payment were the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You do realize the current E class coupe is actually riding on a W204 C class chassis.

In other words, it's a Milli Vanilli E class coupe. It looks a lot better than the last CLK coupe, but IMO it's not a real E class.
I have done all my research on the C207. So what if it is based on the C class platform? It is the perfect size for me. It is quicker than an E, it is a coupe (I do not want a sedan) and has a fine interior as well as exterior in my eyes.
I am not asking about info on the C207, only on value of my C124.
Too bad they do not make an AMG version though. That would be the perfect car. But a few mods here and there and it can get closer to perfection.

I was contemplating between an M3 and and a C63 coupe. They are too small and too youth oriented for me. I will keep my MCoupe for track days and fun drives, and my Cobra for when I have the need for rawness and power. The C207 will be my DD. A fast, comfortable car with all the new stuff in it and a warranty.
I am contemplating on keeping the C124 as well, but not sure as 4 cars that I have now (wife's ML500) are taking up all the garage space.
We will see.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
If you don't care to downgrade to a C class, why not just get the C63 coupe instead???

It's even available in a Black series.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
If you don't care to downgrade to a C class, why not just get the C63 coupe instead???

It's even available in a Black series.
The new E-Class coupes are quite nice, perhaps not as fun as a boy racer C-Class AMG but more sophisticated and a much more handsome car imo, I've heard good things about their build quality and I don't think the platform its based upon matters as much on a Mercedes as they're all pretty well engineered. The top of the line R129 SL was based on the 'lowly' W124 after all and people still bought those!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
Why would you ever buy a new Mercedes other then AMG models because you and all of us here know they aren't built to the same standard and its just 1/3 of the car excluding technology plus with 30k or so you can restore your w124.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
all MBs pre-1996 were built to a standard, when the engineers still ran the company. After 1995, all MB cars were built to a price when the accountants decided to take over the reins.

The product quality has never been the same since.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
all MBs pre-1996 were built to a standard, when the engineers still ran the company. After 1995, all MB cars were built to a price when the accountants decided to take over the reins.

The product quality has never been the same since.
exactly so why would you buy a Mercedes other than AMG because you want speed but I think if you were to buy an S65 Amg you'd almost pay for an s500 built to The standard but maybe there's some cost cutting there too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sbaert,
I like the C63, but as mentioned in my previous post (sorry corrected to C63) the C63 are marketed towards the youth. In SoCal C63s and BMW M3 are driven by 20 somethings.
I am 39, 40 in a few months and do not care for that image, nor do I care for a hard core daily driver as the C63 black series.
I have driven the C63 black series and it is a disguised racer.
Although I love the car, but do not justify a $120k car as a DD. C63 and M3 is out.
I have had my share of aggressive cars and still have a couple.

I know this is a W124 loving crowd. I am not asking opinions on whether I should buy a particular car. I know about build quality not being there in the newer cars in general, but a restored old car is still an old car.
I have taken my W124 to a very nice condition and does not need any further restoration.
As far as AMGs go, yup love them all but CL63 is just to big and for later on in life. C63 is just too small and youth oriented. All AMG sedans are out because I do not want sedans.
SL63 is not practical as I have 2 little kids and they SL has no seats.

Komrade 124, well said and my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,469 Posts
$4,500 to $5,000. My nits: I'm not partial to the carbon fiber, Depos, clear corners, or R134a. Lack of dual airbags and driver's power mirror puts it prior to 94; steering wheel puts it prior to 92; and lack of economy gauge puts it after 90 - so it is a 91 just by looking at it.

Looks very nice. I like it.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
E550 coupe is about $60K

C63 coupe is about $65K

Considering they're both C class vehicles, the choice should be simple. AMG. The snarl of the 6.3L V8 is worth the $5 difference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts