Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have one of these early M117.960 engines out of a 450 SLC 5.0. These are alloy block engines but the design in the back is still very close to the iron blocks 3.5 M116 and 4.5 M117 allowing to fit a manual transmission, flywheel etc. out of a 3.5. These 3.5 four speed can easily be modified to take the torque of the 5.0 and even be made a five speed by blending parts with an L6 five speed trans (but it's more difficult and expensive). It's a bit involved but it works very well and I already did it on my W111 coupe conversion.

So I have one of these engines as well as a 3.5 four speed trans. I was thinking of mating them together and fit it in an early W460 SWB. The idea would be to have a stock looking car as if MB did it, looking like this one for example:

I've already searched some threads about this conversion. This would be quite a project but I think the end result would be worth it.

Though I would not be doing it to make money, I would still want to know the value of such a car on the market in case I need to sell it at a later stage. How much would a well sorted W460 like the one on the picture be worth on the market today? How much would the same car be worth with a well executed M117 5.0 transplant and 4 speed manual ? and with a 5 speed manual?

Thank you very much in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Depending on how well sorted out the stock W460 is, transplanting the V8 in there would probably reduce its value. Most folks who are interested in a W460 tend to be purists; and the only transplant that is looked upon with any favorability is a 300 TD.

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So the only way it would make sense would be to find one with a blown motor and in need of restoration, so as not to spoil a "good" one.

Early models don't seem to be so common in the US.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts