Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
rusper - 3/8/2005 5:07 AM

I only ever had my car (S-class merc) valet parked once and it was crashed.........never again. I suppose things are different in the States.
Rusper
If by different you mean the valets in the States take better care of the cars, I am not sure that is always true. One of our local TV stations did a segment on valets stealing from the cars they parked. They put a camera in some cars and showed the valets stealing just about anything not attached.

However, as mentioned previously, there are some places in and around LA where valet parking is the ONLY parking as there is no other parking close by and the restaurant/club etc, will not allow you to park your own car. LA is so spread out that taxis are not a feasible option. Could use a limo but then I would look like a celebrity (or a tourist)!

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
Yes, by different I really meant that I assumed valet parking was more of the norm or, as you say, even obligatory. It is relatively rare over here.
Rusper

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
In some congested areas, valet parking is necessary because the valets can park cars bumper to bumper, 3 or 4 cars deep since they have the keys for all of the vehicles. When my wife wants to go to a restaurant where valet parking is the only choice, we take her car.

At many restaurants in the Chicago area, valets are required to turn over all gratuities (tips) to the management. It's a nice source of untaxed income for the owner.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
All this discussion, combined with the fact that the manual only refers to the metal key as an emergency key, leads me to think there is no real "valet " key, false marketing if anyone is told so...[xx(]

21 - 24 of 24 Posts