Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my previous cars had a valet key that did not have all the functions as the main key and thus would not unlock everything. However, both my SLK keys seem to be identical with full function.

What do I give the valet?

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
21 Posts
Hi malibuite,

I believe that you keep the metal key that is inserted in your remote (which you remove by sliding the little grooved switch next to it) and give the valet only the remote. You can use the metal key to lock your trunk (and possibly the glove box). I'm sorry for being so vague, but my car is actually in service, so I can't check to see if there is a key hole in the glove box door (not that you could stash much in there with the CD changer installed).

Gary

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
I'm confused too.... but I usually just press the slider to release the smartkey from the mechanical key attached to my other keys and leave the smartkey in the car for the valet. I never bothered to check if doing so will lock the interior compartments and trunk, but I doubt it. Not sure what a better solution for valet if you want to safeguard your belongings but I do like the fact that the key can be detached from the mechanical key. My Audi and bmw have plastic valet keys and frankly I don't use them at all because they are just an extra item I'd rather not carry with me.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
from what I remember of the manual, the glovebox and armrest box are both centrally locked and there is no key opening for the glovebox....that would leave only the trunk for the key that the valet would not have...the manual only talks about the key feature as an emergency key...no mention I remember as a valet key...[?]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
The problem with keeping the metal key is that the keyring is attached to it. If you take the metal key, the valet does not have a ring to hang the key on a hook.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CP1 - 3/7/2005 5:45 AM

The problem with keeping the metal key is that the keyring is attached to it. If you take the metal key, the valet does not have a ring to hang the key on a hook.
My key ring is attached to the remote and not the metal key (which fits inside the remote).

I am getting totally confused. Does the metal key unlock everything or only the remote?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 3/7/2005 9:21 AM

My key ring is attached to the remote and not the metal key (which fits inside the remote).

I am getting totally confused. Does the metal key unlock everything or only the remote?
The attachment on the key should be in the metal key portion, which when removed leaves only plastic without a ring or hole for one.

I was under the impression that using the metal key to lock the trunk (boot) would prevent it from being unlocked with the remote...
[?]

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
malibuite - 3/7/2005 11:21 AM

HOW do you do that - drill a hole through the remote?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CP1 - 3/7/2005 11:25 AM

malibuite - 3/7/2005 11:21 AM

HOW do you do that - drill a hole through the remote?
Ok,OK...I made a mistake. I did not have the key with me and thought I remembered the key ring attached to the top of the remote.

However, after all the above posts, I am still not clear whether to give the valet the metal key or the remote without the metal key. Can anyone give me a specific answer?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The lack of info on it in the manual is amazing...my guess is you physically lock the trunk with the key, take it and give the remote to the valet...just a guess...[^]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motzkoman - 3/7/2005 3:43 PM

The lack of info on it in the manual is amazing...my guess is you physically lock the trunk with the key, take it and give the remote to the valet...just a guess...[^]
Thanks, I will give that a try. The metal key just looks very fragile although it is tiny enough to fit in one's evening bag[:X]

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
Definitely give the valet the "remote." Keep the metal key. The valet will have no way to hang the key easily, but ought to be able to work out something.

You can then use the metal key to lock the trunk. The lock is not visible unless you bend over and look up at the underside of the lip over the rear license plate. I think it's a PITA, myself.

BTW, there is no place to put the metal key in the ignition. The ignition switch communicates with the key via IR. There is no physical lock.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gdewitt - 3/7/2005 4:08 PM

Definitely give the valet the "remote." Keep the metal key. The valet will have no way to hang the key easily, but ought to be able to work out something.

You can then use the metal key to lock the trunk. The lock is not visible unless you bend over and look up at the underside of the lip over the rear license plate. I think it's a PITA, myself.

BTW, there is no place to put the metal key in the ignition. The ignition switch communicates with the key via IR. There is no physical lock.
Thanks. I am not sure how confortable I am with having to depend on an infrared ignition switch. If the remote battery went dead then I might be stuck somewhere for a while. It seems like the metal key should operate the ignition just as a backup. I guess my backup is carrying extra remote batteries.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
malibuite - 3/9/2005 12:14 PM

gdewitt - 3/7/2005 4:08 PM

Thanks. I am not sure how confortable I am with having to depend on an infrared ignition switch. If the remote battery went dead then I might be stuck somewhere for a while. It seems like the metal key should operate the ignition just as a backup. I guess my backup is carrying extra remote batteries.
G'day malibuite,

"Don't Panic!" Just now, I took the battery out of one of my remote keys, and was still able to start my car OK. I appears to be untrue that "the ignition switch communicates with the key via IR".

I also just tried locking the boot (trunk) with the metal key, and it DOES NOT prevent it from being unlocked via the remote key. The function of the metal key appears to be purely for unlocking/locking the doors and boot "manually", in the event of a flat remote battery. You may as well give the valet the entire key.

It would be helpful if people actually tried things out, before making pronouncements about how they work! [:)]

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
malibuite - 3/7/2005 7:14 PM

On my X5, the key is charged everytime it is in the ignition switch. The manual states this and even recommends to use both keys alternatively on a regular basis to keep them charged. I assumed Mercedes Benz keys worked the same way... since there doesn't seem to be an easy way for the owner to replace batteries. Does the Mercedes smartkey charge while it is in the ignition or not? Anyone?

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/7/2005 9:13 PM

One thing that I have never given a valet is my car. I insist on parking my car myself.
Mel, I assume you don't live downtown. Mentioned this before but sometimes valet is the only logical parking option in the city. It is often the most practical and sometimes safest way to park... especially if you grease the valet to keep your car in front of the establishment.

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
I went to a corporate function downtown with my wife. The company offered to pay for the Valet parking as part of the deal. I went to a self-park and paid out of my pocket just to avoid the valet. That's how I feel about valet parking. And it wasn't even the SLK. It was the wife's Lexus. I won't drive the new SLK downtown. Not yet, anyway.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
masmole - 3/7/2005 8:01 PM

malibuite - 3/7/2005 7:14 PM

On my X5, the key is charged everytime it is in the ignition switch. The manual states this and even recommends to use both keys alternatively on a regular basis to keep them charged. I assumed Mercedes Benz keys worked the same way... since there doesn't seem to be an easy way for the owner to replace batteries. Does the Mercedes smartkey charge while it is in the ignition or not? Anyone?
The manual says nothing about the remote battery being charged while in the ignition. The manual tells you what batteries to buy and tells you how to replace them. They do not seem to be that hard to get to once you have removed the metal key.

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
I only ever had my car (S-class merc) valet parked once and it was crashed.........never again. I suppose things are different in the States.
Rusper

1 - 20 of 24 Posts