Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the good news today that my baby can come home tommorow. I got the car for free just had to wait 3 months for a title. Its an 83-85 500sel. So far I had my local mercedes mechanic obtain a key, replace battery, do brake work,replace the fuel pump, fuel relay, some fuel lines, distributor, change the belts, spark plugs, oil, and drain the gas tank . So around $1800 later I'm almost ready to pick up my "free" car. I had a 86 300sdl before this so I know they are high mantainence. There were limited records with the car but no recent ones. The car was last tagged in in 2002 I believe. Any advice on things to do or look for would be appreciated. I had the local shop do everything except the motor mounts, which he said were fine for the time being. The body and surprisingly the paint are in good shape with no dents, bondo, or rust. The interior needs some work but I'm going to see how much I can do myself. Most of the switches dont work such as the seat controls, windows, seat heaters. If anyone knows of a good leather conditioner please let me know. Feels good having a tank again. Also any advice on adding hp

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Congratulations![:)]

A new set of wheels is always exciting.

As far as the leather treatment is concerned; I would recomment Leatehrique which can be bought at:

http://www.leatherique.com/index.htm

For great instructions on application, go to:

http://www.mbcoupes.com/repairarticles/leatherrepair/leatheriquetreatment.htm

Can't help you in the horsepower department.[8D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Congratulations! Mine is also a Valentine Mercedes, only its date of registration is Feb 14 [:)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
benz w126 - 2/14/2005 7:24 PM

Its an 83-85 500sel.

[?]

You don’t know what year it is? US or European market? Miles?

Watch out for worn suspension and front-end components. Welcome back. [:)]

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips. I have never driven the car only tinkered with it before having it towed to the the shop. It has sort of been on the back burner for a while. I know it is i pre 86 as it has a different interior as my last one. Im pretty sure it and american model from the head lights it has the seperate nook for the yellow fog lamps. somthing I hope to correct with euro lamps. It has around 140,000 miles and Im not sure on the year i've been told two diffent years, if i recall the shop told me an 84 but I can't be sure. I will know more tommorow and hopefully I can post pics. Its light blue metalic with tan leather. It sat for 2 or 3 years so I figure I will have to replace tires but since I am thinking about replacing the nasty rims I might hold off. I would really like a set of amg monoblock although I know some purist don't agree. I dont know if I should have saved my money and bought one in great shape. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
benz w126 - 2/15/2005 1:02 AM

thanks for the tips. I have never driven the car only tinkered with it before having it towed to the the shop. It has sort of been on the back burner for a while. I know it is i pre 86 as it has a different interior as my last one. Im pretty sure it and american model from the head lights it has the seperate nook for the yellow fog lamps. somthing I hope to correct with euro lamps. It has around 140,000 miles and Im not sure on the year i've been told two diffent years, if i recall the shop told me an 84 but I can't be sure. I will know more tommorow and hopefully I can post pics. Its light blue metalic with tan leather. It sat for 2 or 3 years so I figure I will have to replace tires but since I am thinking about replacing the nasty rims I might hold off. I would really like a set of amg monoblock although I know some purist don't agree. I dont know if I should have saved my money and bought one in great shape. I guess time will tell.

I always love blue color. any pics?

Oh nevermind the purists. They are nice, helpful and will get along well as long as you don't change the grille with pseudo rolls-royce grille, paint hula girls on the hood, and other radical stuff.....[:)]

I know I read this line somewhere.....[;)]

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as bosses go mine will surely be jealous seeing as he gave me the car. The car was left behind by one of his evicted renters I believe. I was looking through the photo gallery and saw blue420sel. mine is about the same color except duller. Thats my inspiration anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Well, get rid of dull colours! Give her a couple of wax as Valentine's Gift. She will pay you with years of faithful service....[:)]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
tiger_biru - 2/15/2005 1:13 AM

...paint hula girls on the hood, and other radical stuff.....[:)]
You may think it’s a big laugh, tiger, but I’ve actually seen hula girls painted on a 126…[:0][xx(]

If it’s US market then she’s an 84 or 85 – the body tag over the rad will give you the model year.

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I picked up the car today however it was dark when I got home so no pics yet. It was built 10/83 and is an 84 model. all the windows and paint are orginal. none of the windows, seats, seat heater, or horn work. The clear coat is starting to peal off, and interior needs work ( wood, leather, carpet). I might have opened a can of worms

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
jdc1244a - 2/17/2005 11:03 AM

You may think it’s a big laugh, tiger, but I’ve actually seen hula girls painted on a 126…[:0][xx(]
[:0] [:0] [:0]

Poor you. [:(]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
cnd - 2/15/2005 10:01 PM

Poor you.
Poor 126, actually.

benz w126 –

Let’s get some pics and see – it may not be too bad. As long as the car does not have any rust (bad) or serious mechanical problems, cosmetic restoration of these cars is not too bad.

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be trashing talking the car a little too much. My sdl was just about mint and thats what im comparing it to. The engine runs real strong and my mechanic fixed everything he could find except the motor mounts which are about half gone. I've been playing with the windows tonight and got the back two and sunroof working. The front two both make the lights dim a little but dont roll down. Maybe the motors need a work out. The paint is good except the edges where the clear coat is starting to peel a little and the roof and trunk. I'll get some pics posted tommorow.

·
Registered
1984 500sel
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are some pics I just took. Its about midnight so half of them didnt come out. Also the car was last washed about 3 months ago and before that it had sat for a couple of years so it filthy right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
your car looks like it needs some work, but thats some of the beauty when owning these things. to bring it back to life! even i still look for things to fix, its expensive, but i rather spend on the 420 than go out and party. [^]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts