Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there ever been a thread posted on hardwiring a Valentine one radar detector in the W140? I searched in the archives with no luck. Also, I'm located in West Virginia and new to the forum. Picking up a 96 S500 next week! The wait is killing me! Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 S500
31 Posts
I hope that you are 100 %Shure that the s500 you are getting is in great shape and that there shouldn't be any major repairs :) . Before I got mine, I had to wait 7 days too, all those 7 days I was on internet looking up stuff for that car like performance chips, Taillights, rims, ...etc. Thank GOD!!! I didn't buy any of that stuff. After I bought the car I ended up spending a lot of money just getting it run right. Windshield, Rear Axle replacement, Front Shocks, ...list kepps growing. But hey it's your call, if you can get it do it man.

You have picked great radar detector, I have heard a lot of people talking about that one. Hope you get your answer.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
There is no thred but iti spossible to wire on ine throught the cabin lights on teh ceiling betweent he front seats. I think it is pretty easy for a person who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2007 GL450
64 Posts
I hardwired my Valentine One into my 1997 S320 (when I purchased the car new in January 1997). The Valentine One usually is mounted on the passenger sunvisor. If the passenger MUST use the sunvisor, I then use the suction cup mounting. The steps are:

- Remove the interior rear view mirror by grasping it and pulling sharply. The mirror is held in place by spring-loaded pins (similar to what holds a watchband in place on a watch).
- Pop off the overhead light cover.
- Remove the light panel by gently prying the spring clips on the perimeter.
- Tap into the power wire feeding the sunroof. This power line is switched with the ignition. Thus, when you turn on the ignition, power will be fed to the Valentine One's power convertor.
- To run the cable from the power convertor to the Valentine, you have several choices. I loosened the screw for the sunvisor clip, which then allowed the headliner to be pulled away sufficiently from the windshield to slip through a cable. I then pulled through sufficient cable to reach the Valentine One.
- Reinstall the light panel and light cover. The mirror will pop back into place.

You'll want to remember these steps as you'll inevitably need to replace the cable from the power convertor to the Valentine One unit. Good luck!

·
Registered
1996 S500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! Picking the car up on Monday and the V1 is a must. The Merc will likely lead to 80-85 mph cruising on the interstate so I need some protection! Also, for anyone who hasn't picked up a V!, it is an absolute must. Saved me $$$ in tickets and insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts