Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My car is a 1983 300d turbodiesel. I am having some strange issues with my transmission, it cannot decide which gear to stay in. When the RPM's are high, it will attempt to switch to the next gear, switch back down, switch up again, switch back down, and then eventually go up a gear.

My central locking isnt working, and my brakes are "squishy". I am assuming these problems are all related to a vacuum leak. Any ideas where to start? I am getting 20in of hg from the vacuum pump. Does anybody know of a vacuum diagram for this car?

Also, did the 83 turbodiesel come with anti lock brakes? There are two ABS cylinders attached to my master cylinder, however I did some reading and apparantly this car never came with ABS?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the cylinders do not say "ABS", they say "Safety Brake-Guard System". Can anybody tell me what these do?

Sorry for the crappy pictures, cell phone camera + flashlight doesn't equal the best shots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah ive been doing some research, and it looks like the PO added those in. Does anyone have a picture of what the MC should look like? I would like to remove this "brake guard" system, in order to help identify my braking issues.

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
vacuum diagrams

I'd like to see pictures of what you think are ABS components.

Matthew where can I find these diagrams? Would these be the same for my ' '83 240D auto.. I was having trouble w/ shifting, PO blocked a lot of lines going to the cabin I think this shows most of them. I almost have the shifting fixed now to do the correciton on all vacuum lines and proper throttle linkinage adjustment. The pictures on the list is still a little fuzzy. Thanks for posting this! ! !

·
Registered
1983 240D automatic
14 Posts
Sorry about posting the diagrams again. I am new the the site and have not got the hang of it yet. This site and all of you have been a life saver to a new 240D Benz owner. I have always wanted one now I have one. THANKS AGAIN. I did not mean to hy-jack the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts