Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500. Black on Black
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm looking for the wiring diagram for the vacuum pump under the rear seat.

This should be the pump that controls the central locking system.

Every single wire running to the pump has been cut and connected with electrical tape. It's awful. The wires coming out of the pump's harness are all red...then they are all connected to standard MB wires with electrical tape. So if someone has the wiring diagram for that section of the car with the wire colors and such, that would be a huge help.

In other news. I rewired the bose amp back to life. Yet another hack wiring job to make a shitty CD player work on the factory speakers. I got the correct harness, and then rewired the entire harness at the amp. someone just cut all the wires and spliced into them.

·
Registered
1914 Mercedes 28/95 hp, 83' 300SD, 93' S420, (three) 94' S420's, 95' S500 & 96' S600
284 Posts
Hey guys i'm looking for the wiring diagram for the vacuum pump under the rear seat.

Every single wire running to the pump has been cut and connected with electrical tape. It's awful. The wires coming out of the pump's harness are all red...then they are all connected to standard MB wires with electrical tape. So if someone has the wiring diagram for that section of the car with the wire colors and such, that would be a huge help.

In other news. I rewired the bose amp back to life. Yet another hack wiring job to make a shitty CD player work on the factory speakers. I got the correct harness, and then rewired the entire harness at the amp. someone just cut all the wires and spliced into them.
If you have alldatadiy.com... will be more than happy to guide you to the diagram for this PSE or send an email to [email protected] and one of our team will be happy to email some diagrams for an assistance... may take a couple of days, but will be glad to help. alldatadiy.com has all of the information that our shop WIS and STAR systems also have.

Dutch

·
Registered
1914 Mercedes 28/95 hp, 83' 300SD, 93' S420, (three) 94' S420's, 95' S500 & 96' S600
284 Posts
Diagrams... A37: PSE partial data

Partial electrical diagram connector information for PSE (A37 on diagram's)

This will get you started... note wire color abrv. and connector numbers, etc.

Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
I think that the diagram for the external connections to the PSE control unit (A37) shown on post #3 is correct, but is too small to be legible.

I have saved this drawing from my WIS on a pdf, which can be readily enlarged to enable the details to be read. Page 4 is from another system that is also connected to A37.

The wires have 2 (or 3) colored stripes, which are abbreviated in English as: RD=red, GN=green, BL=blue, BK=black, YE=yellow, GY=gray, WH=white, BN=brown, PK=pink.

The pins on the circuit diagram are all shown on connector 1. (is there another?)

pin 7 is shown to cct 30. This is unswitched battery voltage. Fused at F4 fuse f11, 20A.
pin 4 is shown to cct 15. This is +12v dc with Ig switch in posn 3 (i.e. Ignition ON) Fused at F4 fuse f3, 20A.
pin 21 is shown to cct 31. This brown wire always goes to chassis earth.

Have the fuses been checked?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I found this old post and it has been most helpful. I do have a quick question for those more knowledgable:

I bought a '97 s500 and the "IDIOT" who fashioned himself a Mercedes mechanic decided because the pump did not work he should cut all of the wires to remove the pump. Then he tried to EBAY a new pump (which was wrong) and new harness ends. I got the mess, once I discovered my bad in not looking under the passenger seat pre-purchase. I have redone the engine, transmission, rear SLS, front suspension, all window mechanisms, and now am left to last job of PSE.

My wiring does not quite match what is in this PDF. I am stuck on the final few wires. I have matched up what I could find. I have two yellows and two greens left over. Also which Blue and black goes to which? Do I have to run a continuity check from the original N/57 and N/54? Is there an easier way? Also I am confused about the (refer to pdf) Pin 1 - 15- 8 I see that they should have two wires connected to one pin, extra yellow on 15 and extra green on 1, but what color are the other wires?
I see in the box BUBK / BUYE / and YE in dotted box 97 and GN YE BNYE in dotted box 98. I don't wont to wire the thing wrong and blow out the new pump again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brent
TexasMercedes

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
You did not find the REAL post on these pumps...Post 35 should help

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1924785-someone-please-help-me-stupid-pump.html

For your year if you have a coupe the pump looks like the 94-96, but a sedan the pump will look like a 98-99 pump..

I fix alot of these pumps, and the one in the picture is the one for the later cars with the grey plate and all the yellow lines go there.

Here is the flavors of the pumps, yet the last one is to a w210:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1795513-w140-classifieds-fs-wtb-thread-3.html#post9439178

Martin

Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Martin,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did actually use the post 35 you referenced for my wiring. PSE +1997 W140. That is where my question comes in. I have a few extra wires on both ends. I am attaching pictures to better understand what I am saying.

MY pump is the correct one, with 6 outlets and the 5 are used. (rear back ups are not present and nipple is capped.)

MY question is in the diagram of 1997+ where the 97 and 98 connect to 1 and 5. What color are these supposed to be?

Also is there a way to fix the melted plastic between nipples, i.e. the pump ran got the plastic too hot thus melting the top of the PSE? I have a w220 pump

I will attach more pictures as I progress...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Also for posterity if anyone is reading this and is as confused as I was for the vacuum diagram here goes for central locking. P+ P- SFG FKS etc.

Brent

TexasMercedes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
MY question is in the diagram of 1997+ where the 97 and 98 connect to 1 and 5. What color are these supposed to be?
I'm trying to follow this thread (with difficulty!) and have a couple of questions.

1) Have you established if your car follows the 'up to 97' or the 'from 98' design?
2) In your sentence above you meant to type pins 1 & 15, I think.

The way I would expect the circuit diagram above to work (trying to cover 2 different designs) is this - assuming the 'up to 97' design.

3) The 'unambiguous' wiring is shown connected from end to end. That is:

A37 Conn 1 pin16 to N57 pin16. (blue/yellow wire)
A37 Conn 1 pin 2 to N54/1pin 3. (blue/black wire)

That leaves 3 wires from the 97 box to find a destination. I would assume these go (in sequence inside the bracket) to A37 pins 1, 15, 8 as follows:

A37 Conn 1 pin 1 to N57 pin 20. (blue/black wire)
A37 Conn 1 pin 15 to N54/1 pin 4 (blue/yellow wire)
A37 Conn 1 pin 8 to Y65/3 pin 1 (yellow wire)

Now you have 2 blue/black wires and 2 blue yellow wires to separate out. If this post makes sense so far, we can pursue that problem later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MAVA and Keyhole,
Thanks for the help! I really do appreciate this. I almost have this solved.

I connected almost everything and most it works. But it is not 100%. The pump comes on, cycles for 60 seconds, and then shuts off.

The door closers do not work, the trunk handle retracts, the lumbar work, and the center vent finally opens. Then it cycles off and central vent shuts! ARRGGHH.

I also noticed there is no pin 17 in the diagram. It says no 10 and 14, but no mention of 17.

KH,

Even though my car is a 1997 (S500 Sedan) the wiring is a 1998. So once I saw the light of the dotted boxes referring to 1998 and after or 1997 or before, then the wires started to make more, but not all, sense.

I am assuming that the wires and connector are totally jacked, so I am going with the wires from the "car" are correct.
(Remember that my cables were cut just above the sill and I have three ends that none look alike. I tried to get the most probable one and using the diagram am trying to rewire.)
Once I did that, almost all of the wires matched to a pin, except one odd extra Black/Red stripe/ with green stripes. I see no color combination on any of the schematic. Also I have two greens, but according to logic of unambiguous dotted box 98 GN from N54/4 to X18 to pin 1, what about GN N57 to pin 1 as well? I need another GN for S15 to Pin 9. I only have two from the car.
Strange.

Also I have 1 Brown Yellow, but I need two, to pin 8 and to pin 18.

I am going to start only connecting the pins one by one until I get a failure. If a pin is disconnected is that going to give me errors as well?

Very frustrated but determined in Texas!

Brent

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
MAVA and Keyhole,
Thanks for the help! I really do appreciate this. I almost have this solved.
Good to hear of your progress here. A few quick comments, and I will study the wiring issues later.

I connected almost everything and most it works. But it is not 100%. The pump comes on, cycles for 60 seconds, and then shuts off.
Isn't that how it is supposed to work? When the air pressure is OK the motor is switched off automatically. There must be a pressure sensor inside the module.

The door closers do not work, the trunk handle retracts, the lumbar work, and the center vent finally opens. Then it cycles off and central vent shuts! ARRGGHH.
That sounds like a pneumatic problem, not electrical. Broken pneumatic line somewhere?

I also noticed there is no pin 17 in the diagram. It says no 10 and 14, but no mention of 17.
That's possibly a draftsman's error. I'm not sure how many pins there are in total on the connector.

KH,

Even though my car is a 1997 (S500 Sedan) the wiring is a 1998. So once I saw the light of the dotted boxes referring to 1998 and after or 1997 or before, then the wires started to make more, but not all, sense.
Yes, the dotted box is the method of separating different build dates. So your model will not have Y65/3. RTR control valve. (Rear trunk lid power closing?)

More thoughts later.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
...... Once I did that, almost all of the wires matched to a pin, except one odd extra Black/Red stripe/ with green stripes. I see no color combination on any of the schematic.
Let's forget that wire for the moment. I cannot see it either, but sometimes the manufacturers run out of a wire color and use a substitute!

Also, please remember that the diagram is only a schematic to understand how things are connected. Not always where they are connected. As an example, consider the green wires shown both connected into A37 pin 1. In reality, there might be one green wire at pin 1 and two green wires at X18 pin 15, one going to N57 conn 2 pin 20, the other going to N54/4 pin 11. Similarly, the greens could be duplicated at N54/4 pin 11. I hope that you understand this point.

Also I have two greens, but according to logic of unambiguous dotted box 98 GN from N54/4 to X18 to pin 1, what about GN N57 to pin 1 as well?
Yes, as explained above, it will not matter where the green wires are joined together, as long as A37 pin 1, N57 pin 20, and N54/4 pin 11 all end up connected.

I need another GN for S15 to Pin 9. I only have two from the car.
Strange.
I suppose that it's not a biggie if that does not work. Can you locate switch S15 and trace the missing green wire from S15 pin 3? Maybe it is your rogue black/red/green wire.

Also I have 1 Brown Yellow, but I need two, to pin 8 and to pin 18.
Again this might be your black/red/green wire.

I am going to start only connecting the pins one by one until I get a failure. If a pin is disconnected is that going to give me errors as well?
Probably - but nothing serious..
Weird that wires for pins 9 and 18 for S15 are missing, but as I said they could just be in the wrong colors here. Carry on sleuthing!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts