Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and would like to know if anyone can help me. The Vacuum pump on my car (96 C280 I6) runs continuously after starting and runs in short (3-4 second) intervals for a couple of minutes and then stops. Central locking functions normally. Is there risk of damage to the pump?. What could be the culprit? Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help, I see some possibilities I can explore tomorrow (late here now) will report back if I can/can't resolve it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Invest in a Mityvac vacuum pump, then start testing your vacuum lines. There are plenty of threads related to that on here, so I wont repeat other than to say one of the main sources of vacuum leak is a junction block under the hood on the right side just in front of the windshield. It tends to crack over time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Invest in a Mityvac vacuum pump, then start testing your vacuum lines. There are plenty of threads related to that on here, so I wont repeat other than to say one of the main sources of vacuum leak is a junction block under the hood on the right side just in front of the windshield. It tends to crack over time.
georgebuhr, in case the junction block under the hood is the culprit, can that be replaced or you just have to repair it?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It can be repaired with some epoxy, but it is not an expensive part, and replacement would be a better option. The only issue with replacement is over time the fittings that attach to it can get brittle with age, so you will break some of them getting it apart.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It can be repaired with some epoxy, but it is not an expensive part, and replacement would be a better option. The only issue with replacement is over time the fittings that attach to it can get brittle with age, so you will break some of them getting it apart.
since our vacuum lines come in different colors, how would I know what color and how long do I need to purchase if I want to replace all my vacuum lines, would you have an idea? And where do we purchase the colored vacuum lines beside the dealership?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I dont think you want to actually replace all the lines. When I did mine, I had about 3 vacuum line fitting break. I had pre ordered the fittings that go on the ends of the vacuum lines, but was scared to try to remove them because I was worried about cutting the line and making it too short, and also just getting the new fitting on looked like it could be tough, so when I put the new block in place, I just put a small piece of rubber vacuum line on it to connect the ones that broke to the block. Has been working for a few years now with no issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont think you want to actually replace all the lines. When I did mine, I had about 3 vacuum line fitting break. I had pre ordered the fittings that go on the ends of the vacuum lines, but was scared to try to remove them because I was wording about cutting the line and making it too short, and also just getting the new fitting on looked like it could be tough, so when I put the new block in place, I just put a small piece of rubber vacuum line on it to connect the ones that broke to the block. Has been working for a few years now with no issues.
Thanks for the heads-up, in other words, don't touch what is not broken. Anyway, where can you buy the colored vacuum lines in case there will be a need to purchase aside from the dealer and how much?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The only answer I know to that is, I dont know. When I replaced the wiring harness in mine however, it came with new vacuum lines as well. But, they were all white in color, with some paint on the end that matched the color of the original lines. So I would just look for some generic lines if you are dead set on changing them, then just put some paint on the ends to identify them. Chances are the nylon lines are going to be in good shape though; its the rubber and plastic fittings on the ends of them that go bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only answer I know to that is, I dont know. When I replaced the wiring harness in mine however, it came with new vacuum lines as well. But, they were all white in color, with some paint on the end that matched the color of the original lines. So I would just look for some generic lines if you are dead set on changing them, then just put some paint on the ends to identify them. Chances are the nylon lines are going to be in good shape though; its the rubber and plastic fittings on the ends of them that go bad.
So the vacuum lines are made of nylon? All the while I thought it was made of plastic, but anyway, thank you for the advises, all noted

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Not sure if its nylon, but it looks like nylon. I think if they were plastic they would be more likely to crack and break. Thats why I say, its the fittings on the ends of them, that are made out of plastic/rubber, that are more likely the issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not sure if its nylon, but it looks like nylon. I think if they were plastic they would be more likely to crack and break. Thats why I say, its the fittings on the ends of them, that are made out of plastic/rubber, that are more likely the issue.
okay thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
georgebuhr, just a thought, could it be silicon?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts