Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the arrival of winter, I have the following intermittent problems:

1. The driver's side window works on some days and does not work on other days. All the other three windows work fine on all days. Living in Baltimore, this is a very serious issue. Don't want to leave your car with a open window.

2. When I open the driver's side door, other door locks do not open. I have to manually open the remaining door locks or go and open the trunk. If other door locks open, then when I lock the driver's side door, other door locks are not locking. I have to go the trunk and lock the trunk. It happens on some days and works fine on some other days.

3. When the car engine is still cold, the brakes are slipping. You could feel the brake pad trying to grab the brake rotor and slipping. Once the engine gets hot, the brakes seem to work fine. This is also intermittent. Brake fluid color looks good. Air in brake fluid?

4. Sluggish acceleration and humming sound from the engine at highway speeds. This has become a regular feature! Doesn't look like there is a 5.6l engine inside.

Are all these problems connected to each other or could they be different? Wondering whether it is a vacuum problem. Please let me have your inputs. Thank you.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The local dealer R&H Mercedes sent me an e-mail, saying that they are offering "free world-class inspection" with oil change. So went for the oil change. It took one and a half hours for the oil change and full inspection. They gave me a detailed report. I have never seen anything like this. See attached PDF file. They hit many of the problems right on the head. Many indie mechanics will not be able to diagnose with such accuracy and give such an exhaustive report.

But their quote of repair cost is very confusing! For example to reseal P/S pump it is $747.00. Just to reseal it!! Of course it is the dealer rate. No questions about it. The same with wind shield wipers. But other things such as replace fuel filter (only $59.00?), replace crank case rear main seal (only $36.26?) and some others are very intriguing!!! I may definitely go to the dealer, if these rates are true!!! Any how, I declined all the repairs. Now I have to start looking into some of these.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts