Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm replacing some of the vacuum lines on my M120 and mostly using a silicon hose to connect the broken hard lines and replace the short ones.
Is there any particular requirement from MB to use an hard line rather than a "soft" silicon one? What is better?
Thanks

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,999 Posts
Both hard and soft lines should be able to stand a blow job, but will the soft line collapse when being 'sucked' on ?

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both hard and soft lines should be able to stand a blow job, but will the soft line collapse when being 'sucked' on ?
I guess if this happens it will be a very bad blow job 🤣 Just ordered few meters of Cohline hard line to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
1990 500 SL
25 Posts
Haha, thanks! I’m currently diagnosing my engine running a little warmer than normal. I’ve only had it since November 23, but I’ve had a few W124s and know a little about the fan clutches and thermostats. I also have a project to get the soft top working as well, but later down the road. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
1994 SL500 1998 SL600
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thanks! I’m currently diagnosing my engine running a little warmer than normal. I’ve only had it since November 23, but I’ve had a few W124s and know a little about the fan clutches and thermostats. I also have a project to get the soft top working as well, but later down the road. Thanks for the welcome. View attachment 2613019
Nice color! The M119 does run a little hot by design.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL
25 Posts
My indy adjusted the tensioner, and the squeal went away, but the light flashes every now and then. However, he checked the charging system and the battery and alternator checked out.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL
25 Posts
So, I got the fan clutch, belt tensioner, alternator and thermostat replaced today, but the temps still hover at 100 in city traffic, stop and go. I heard the fan roaring the whole time I was in traffic. Then I got to the highway, and heard the fan roaring at 50-55 mph (Hawaii highway speed limits are low), about 2,300 rpm. The temperature outside was about 80, and the coolant temp dropped down to about 90 when at 50-55 mph, with the a/c off. When I got off, it crept back up to 100. Guess I’ll be needing to replace the radiator. Side note, my idle in park (no accessories) is high lately, at 1,400 rpm. I ordered all new air hoses to replace them from Auto Haus, but still waiting, but think that may contribute to the high idle? It goes back to normal when the a/c is engaged.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,999 Posts
Before replacing the radiator, try doing a reverse flush to see if anything comes out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts